Will a Ninja G3 pipe fit on a 1978 Motobecane 7?

Someone told me the Ninja G3 won't fit on my 1978 7. Has anyone tried it? I'm running mostly stock.

Re: Will a Ninja G3 pipe fit on a 1978 Motobecane

Oh, if it won't, does anyone know any good alternatives?

the 7 is not a good model for souping up.

for the price of that pipe you could probably buy a moped that would be suitable for such mods.

^ seconded. get a pug or puch...or a 50v

B. P. Gretenhart /

I got a peugeot ninja G3 for sale if anyone is interested. Email me. Its new. Never been mounted.

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

the angle of the motor will not allow most motobecane pipes to mount without serious modification. buy a sim circuit pipe and make new mount bracket for it. i did it without much fuss.....

a 7 side note. there are 14mm gurtner 7 style carb bodies@ handybikes. me and bj found em today. go get one if you dont want to switch to a dell. also 15mm intakes.

I'm not really concerned with the cost of the exhaust. Is the sim circuit the best performance pipe I can fit on the 7?

Yea, I found them years ago. They are slightly different. That's posted on Mabecane's website.

no, a g3 won't fit on a moby 7 without taking two or three inches out of the header. the header touches the ground. i just tried it last week... even if you do cut and re-weld the header, you're either going to lose your pedal on the right side, lose the stand, or both. there's really not much space under there.

the motor is at a different angle than the 50's and 40's, so nothing built for those bikes (which is everything) is going to mount up without modifications. i've mounted up a stock VLX pipe on my seven but it sat at over 45degrees to the ground (it's at about 30degrees on the 50VLX), with the rear of the pipe attached to the seat post wouldn't recommend this, there's no performance improvements from this pipe.

i've looked at a lot of pipes that i think would be rad if modified to fit on the seven. check out the honda hobbit proma circuit pipe you'd need to cut/weld your stock mounting threads onto it, but it looks like it might otherwise tuck up nicely under the seven's motor. you could also try some of the peugeot circuit pipes, i think that the O.G. threading for the stock cylinders is the same as a motobecane's, no? this one is pretty compact. with some pretty extensive mounting mods, this vespa sito might be perfect too.

let us know what works. you could always contact motion left devin, and have him make a custom pipe for you too.... that's my plan, eventually.

I need to just write up a Wiki entry for this stuff. The same questions pop up all the time. Also you cannot mount an AV10 to it unless you make brackets, a variator will not make it variate, at least not very well, and they don't make intakes or heads.

OK, I ordered this guy: https://www.1977mopeds.com/product/1432

I'll give it a shot and report back in case someone else is searching the forums for a similar answer. I should have it in the next 2 or 3 days.

that has a pretty small expansion chamber, i'd be surprised if it performs much better than stock. make sure you find the restriction and rip it out. the one on my simonini (for the 50V) was right at the header, super easy to cut out.

the improvement on that pipe over stock is in the header diameter. it gives me more than stock, but you will have to remove the existing mount tab and bend and weld it back up. i added a 2nd mount tab, and i got a really solid mount. so much that the thing rattled and smapped a nos motor mount bracket.

also i think opening the exhaust port will help. alot. the 7 cylinder is rather restricted in comparison to the other stock av7 cylinders. its in the exhaust and transfer ports.

I mention the cylinder differences on Mabecane's site. I have been running the stock exhaust on mine for a while and it's not a restrictive exhaust at all. I've not heard too many good things about the Simo pipe but I guess it's better than nothing.

The exhaust should be in today. Any recommendations on what tools I'll need to remove the restriction? I want to get it on tonight.

prolly a dremel.

if theres a resrictor in the pipe, its not the normal washer in the header type. its the kind youd have to open it up and find out where it is type.

Hey guys,

I got the sim circuit exhaust last night. I got the exhaust on, the the mount tab doesn't line up. It does fit on the bike fine though. I tightened down the header and I still had OK ground clearance. The tail pipe does have about 1mm (tiny) between the pedal and the chain, but neither are actually hitting it, so that's fine. I just used some wire threw the mount tab for now and will make a bracket out of a metal strap tonight.

As far as performance goes, the pipe definitely is better than stock if you have the dellorto carb on the bike (which I do). I had to unbolt the stock muffler to basically run a half open exhaust to get the bike started before. I tightened down the sim circuit exhaust and the bike ran great. I haven't removed the restrictor as I don't know how, but it seems better than stock regardless.

In what way is it better than the stock pipe? Better acceleration, more top speed? Does it 'hit' at a certain speed and start to pull hard? How does it sound?

much deeper sound, better top end/acceleration. doesnt seem to hit hard like other pipes i have on other bikes, but im happy with my 50$ pipe. also, its a clutch model... so thats rather limiting.

id strongly reccomend welding a new bracket.... i used strap when my motor mount was broken, it rattled off. i found that if shit wasnt tightened down really well, it was comin off. with the upgrades, it rattled hard:: like when it was idling on the stand, the bitch would spin... it could end up ruining your cylinders exhaust threads.

Any pics of it mounted?

il take one. post it later.

With my stock muffler, the moped was extremely difficult to start. I basically loosened the nut from the exhaust port to the point where it just sat there and was basically running an open exhaust. Stock was too restrictive.

With the sim circuit, I don't have to do this. It must have better flow. My stock muffler was cleaned 2 weeks ago, and still sucked. I think the bigger carb was too much for my stock muffler to take. If you got a stock carb, than you may not get the same results.

Here is what I noticed:

- Way easier to start

- Improved low end

- Idles nicely after about 1.5 min warmup

- I like the sound better, but thats an opinion. I can post a video if you really care.

Not sure of top end, headlight was out and I didn't wanna go down a busy street without it. I will report back later.

wierd, sounds like yr stock exhaust was clogged or something.,.... mine ran solid w/a 16 sha.

heres the pics of my sim mount. just ported the bitch and im waitin for the gasket goop to set. excited to see the difrence in performance il be getting... would like to keep pace(top end) w/ my gfs tomos...

also another thing i had noticed, the 15mm mani didnt have a good curve in the end where it connected to the cylinder. i opened that up and smoothed it out to match the port, and strangely enough the stock gasket that came on the original cylinder...

1276822225_sim_mount.jpg

I used a hose clamp instead of screwing with the mount. Kinda lazy, but holds it very tight and took 5 minutes.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account