ram air

joe...joe daddy!! /

Anyone ever try putting a ram air on their ped? I was thinking of rigging one up with an air scoop to force the air in the carb ( im not too sure if it goes fast enough to do this well) or even a small motor with a fan and switch that can be turned off at idle so the idle isnt all screwed up. Any ideas??? Ever try it??? Howd it work???

Re: ram air

Rob Hoehn /

My friend and I were talking about doing that also, it would be so handy to have a 'boost' that you could just hit with a switch. Don't mopeds not run well when you take the air box off? Isn't that the same principle?

another idea ... a decepticon ("moped bill") is putting together a wickedly fast puch free spirit. he put his 70cc kit on it and is hitting about 50mph. and he's going to put on an airscoop.

he's just going to turn the airbox around on the puch, since the puch airfilter is funnel shaped and paints back. by turning it over to the front and forward, it should force air into the moped at the faster speeds and make a difference. the air filter would still be there and everything. it sounds like a good idea to me.

Where I live in upstate New York it sounds like a great way to fill your carburator with bugs. If I ride 20 miles, when I get home my glasses are covered with bug guts.

Ron Brown /

I hope you're not smiling too much.

Chris Robertson /

Better put extra oil in the fuel mixture as well. The extra air might lean out the fuel to air ratio.

Chris.

tried putting ram air on my moped once with a dryer hose, didnt do much, in fact, i think it made it run poorly, no matter how much i played with the air/fule mixture (it was on a racing carb)

No Ron, I try not to smile when the bugs are flying but it's hard not to when you're riding a moped.

Ataristyle /

I hate when they land in my helmet(full face w/ visor off) and I'm still driving on my 'ped. I can feel the bug moving on the side of my face/ear. Very very irrating.

Reeperette /

Atari, I had one of them damn big furry bumblebees wind up in my mouth and stung the side of my tongue once...MAN that hurt - I bit him in two and spit him out, and pulled off to a friends house, who was somewhat sympathetic.....once he stopped laffin at me.

As fer an Airscoop, me and friends have tried it a coupla times and just never gotten anywhere with it, all it seems to do is hose the mixture, and what performance increase there would be...would likely be so miniscule as to not be worth the effort.

I am considering an N2O Booster.....but imma do a bit more homework on that first.

-Ree

SteelToad /

This is not a reccomendation, but ....

Quite some time ago, a friend and I tried running some hose from the air intake

in his dodge's air cleaner to a can of spray whipped topping. We let the can settle,

and held it upright and sprayed. It sounds stupid, but they do use NO2 for

propellant, and we did notice a slight increase. I think that thing just sucked in

too much air, but a ped may be a different matter. I don't know if they are still

using NO2 in those cans or if you really want to spray it into your air box, but

it should prove entertaining at the least :o)

joe....joe daddy! /

WOW! as creative as i am i never thought of that! I like your way of thinking!

I have made and used a ram air scoop on my '80 Jawa Babetta for the last couple of years. It has the small Jikov carb (9 mm, I think, as opposed to the larger

12 mm one). My 'ped was always sluggish on the top end (20 to 25 mph),

as if it were trying to get over a little hump but couldn't. I made up a 4-sided pyramid kind of thing out of cardboard (taken from a Corona Extra case!), "weather proofed" it with black duct tape, and taped it onto the end of the air box, which on the Jawa faces down and back a little. The air scoop curves around so it faces forward, more or less, and I angled it a little to the side so it isn't hidden behind the front wheel fender. I'd say the opening is about 4 inches by 4 inches. I really think it helps. It gets the 'ped over the little hump so I can cruise near 30 mph on the flat (as long as there is no carbon buildup in the exahust port or crud buildup in the muffler). At low speeds, of course, it does little or nothing.

BTW I also tried something else before that, but I can't be sure whether it helped much. In the top end of the air box (more like a rectangular pipe, really), I drilled and tapped three or four holes for 6-32 thread. If I put quarter inch screws (with washers) in the holes, it's the same as their not being there. If I remove one or more screws, this lets more air into the system. With all four screws removed, I could definitely tell that performance was suffering. With only one or two removed, I got the feeling sometimes that it helped.

However, the air scoop definitely helps. No question. Plug chops seem to reveal that it's not running too hot. Besides, I've put at least 1500 miles on it with the scoop there, and I've had no engine seizes or other bad stuff. Maybe the exhaust port carbons up a little faster, but I can't be sure of this.

Right now my 'ped's not working well. I'm pretty sure it's a clogged fuel filter, which is absolutely essential given the rusty gas tank. I'll check this out by making a temporary fuel tank out of a coffee can + quarter inch dia. copper tube. I'll lead this temporarily to the carb. fuel intake and see if the 'ped runs smoothly at mid and top end that way. If yes, it's a fuel flow problem, and I'll replace the filter (teensy one made for small engines, I suppose. I found it in an auto parts store,but they don't carry it any longer). If not, then maybe the carb needs cleaning. I've got a bigger carb (Italian 12 or 14 mm one) that I'll try sometime.

Peter

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account