Gotta love New York State!

Check this out... I went to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles to register my new (used) ped. On the form there is a spot to write the top speed of your ride. NY has three classes: (A) over 30 mph requires a helmet, insurance, and yearly inspection; (B) 20-30 mph requires a helmet, insurance, and inspection is recommended; (C) under 20 mph helmet recommended, insurance recommended, and inspection recommended. I wrote down 18 mph. The clerk asked me if it goes 20, and I told her it would downhill if I gained a few pounds. CLASS C BABY!!! My hair shall soon be blowing in the wind...

Re: Gotta love New York State!

So did u not get insurance? if a cop bust u doing more than 20mph, u would be in more trouble or a ticket that cost more than what moped insurance cost in a year. Cheapo !

you'll miss that insurance when you get tboned by an 85 year old lady thats 4 feet 8 inches tall who didnt "notice" the red light!

Andrew Squiggman /

get the damn insurance. why would you want to limit yourself and make yourself prone to tickets for fraud by listing it so slow?

this kid is an idiot lol. cheapos are a danger to society. Just like people who drive cars without insurance !

Andrew Squiggman /

you are gonna feel the wind through your hair? That must mean you are not going to get or wear a helmet either. Dude, you need a helmet. I don't think you can afford any head injuries.

Fish tits Krauthamer /

let me be the first to say

my magnum and my mb5 are class c. new york is easy to register

$6.25 a year

Yeah Fish Titties!

BTW, I have a policy on the ped. People on here shouldn't assume so much.

As for the helmet, that's my choice. If I wanna wear one, I will. If not, I won't. It's called freedom. Never forget it!

Fullface helmet FTW..you want to be free move to New Hampshire. There motto is "Live free or die". Insurance is a good thing to have, but I don't have any on my ped so eh..

If you are going 20mph or under why wear a helmet..I can speed along on a mountain bike at 20mph and I never had a helmet. Above 20mph..fullface helmet is a must.

We don't forget that we are free when we say where a helmet. We think of your brains and how you would like to keep then inside your skull. Never forget it.

I wear a full face when I walk :/ You can never be too careful.

Re: Gotta love Darwin!

Freedom fries aren't free!

if your not required to have insurance or are required to have it and someone hits you their insurance has to pay except if you get hit in florida and are from out of state

Fake Account.

Evan. I'm under the impression that the ny dmv has a list of mopeds/scooters which they have placed into three classes. If your state issued registration says class c. Then by law its a class c. Cop could ask to measure your displacement but that's a lot of effort and know how for a cop. Especially in nyc.

I think evan's just jealous that he didn't think of this first...

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

"He who sacrifices Liberty for safety...deserves neither!"- Benjamin Franklin

i didn't even know these things had laws hahaha, i live in n.s. , i flew by the cops today doing 25mph and they didn't do anything

Fish tits Krauthamer /

you probably blew their mustaches off their faces.

sheesh

"over 20mph wear a helmet"

if he gets hit by a car its not going to matter how fast he is going as much as it will matter how fast the car is going.

not wearing a helmet is the fastest way to getting a ticket in new york.

that and riding like you live in the midwest.

_If you are going 20mph or under why wear a helmet_

If you like that theory, here's an experiment:

Run down the sidewalk as fast as you possibly can. When you reach full speed, dive head/face first into the pavement. That's approximately what falling (poorly) from a moped going 20 could feel like. If that doesn't sound fun, get and use a helmet.

Also, _if he gets hit by a car its not going to matter how fast he is going as much as it will matter how fast the car is going_ is a really good point too.

Pete Daddeo *YouTube: Moped Problems* /

fuck a insurance policy

Linda those arguments work for running also... so do you suggest we wear a helmet when running? aka would you wear a full face on a solex?

i've crashed , more than once. thankfully i was always wearing a full face/ landed on my feet.

Oh so literal Linda. I made a line instead of blurring it with my speed examples. I guess I should wear a full face all the time, you never know when a car will jump out at you or you may fall and hit your head while running.

Fullface Helmets and Spit guards FTW ! ! ! !

I think you're a lot less likely to enjoy a faceplant into the pavement when you're running than when you're on a moped. Also, you have more control over yourself when it's just you -- variables like gravel and potholes are easier to avoid when you don't have to worry about getting both yourself and your moped around them unscathed. You also don't have to deal with the car factor when you run (unless you're one of those people who runs in the street), and you probably can't run 20mph for very long, whereas your moped can go 20, 25, 30, 35.... for quite a while.

I'm just trying to say that there is a reasonable likelihood that if you fall off your moped, you will hit your head. Within that likelihood, there is a reasonable chance that you will hit the front of your head. In that situation, I would much rather be wearing a full face helmet than a half helmet or no helmet at all.

I use the running example because I think it adds perspective. Nobody in their right mind would purposely faceplant into concrete, yet plenty of people have no issues with riding helmet-less. The only difference is chance -- in one example, you have a 100% chance of scrubbing your face open on pavement, and in the other, you have an undetermined chance of scrubbing your face open on pavement. I can't speak for you guys, but that's not a game of chance I want to play, regardless of what the odds are.

OR...

What if you're running full speed, trying to intentionally do a faceplant, and then a car comes out of nowhere and clips you.

DOUBLE TROUBLE!!!!

I also live in NYS and i have two maxis registered as Class C. when i went to register my last one the woman punched in the VIN and the system told her it should be a class B and she asked if i had insurance. I said no, and said that it should be a class C because i already had one just like it registered as a C. She then pulled out her binder of regulations, asked me how fast it goes, to which i promptly replied "20mph" and she says "well, i guess I'll have to believe you" and she handed my my plate and i was on my way.

all that aside, even though i'm not required to wear a helmet, I always wear a fullface. as far as insurance goes, I don't have insurance, and that's the main reason i chose to register as a class C. I live in a small town and don't ride very far, or in heavy traffic, and If someone hits me, and i'm not required to have insurance, it's their insurance that pays for the damage. If something else happens to my moped, i can pay to fix it without worrying about whether or not my insurance will cover it. and if i hit someone, which is definately not going to happen, it's pretty likely that the damage to the other vehicle would be negligable.

my last moped (a sebring) i had to register as a class B because it said top speed 30mph right on the vin plate, and the insurance only cost me $75/year, so if you gotta get insurance, it's no big deal.

I eat pavement at 30 mph for breakfast. Its all about how you land. Tuck and roll, tuck and roll.

Geez, Linda, are you part Gazelle running 20 mph?

And I understand everyone wanting to keep Roni safe and sound by telling him to wear a helmet, but that is a personal choice by him and should be respected. I'm pretty sure he knows what the consequences are if he chooses to ride with the wind in his hair. People need to learn to respect other peoples decisions and stop forcing their personal opinions. If his not wearing a helmet affected YOUR safety in some way, then by all means tell him to cover is noggin.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

I used to have a fleet of "C" class mopeds in NY, and rode regularly sans helmet. I got pulled over often and it became annoying, even though they had to let me go. Even State troopers who are supposed to be better trained didn't know that no helmet was required on a C.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account