4 Stroke Indian Moped

Just thought this was a cool bike. Not too far from me, but way out of my price range! Copied the ad, not sure how to show the pics.

http://erie.craigslist.org/mcy/1695384333.html

1979 Indian 4 Stoke Moped - $2000 (Erie 16449)

This is a super cool rare Moped .I bought this in 1996 from an Australian Guy through a Indian dealer. There never was a title issued,I may still have the paperwork. It had 81 miles when I bought it and it still does.It has the original plastic seat cover just taken off for the photo torn beat but the seat is all new.Been hanging in my Living room since. I am an avid Indian Motorcycle collector/Enthusiast, my kids need to go to college and my toys must go.buddha@velocity.net Serious inquiries only.Thanks

Re: 4 Stroke Indian Moped

you could buy 10 mopeds at that price!

Pushrod Fifty /

Made in China, nobody can ever make them run.

lol, take one... no, two zeros off that price

I love how the speedo goes to 55mph ha

why does everybody think that just cause it says Indian on it that means its very valuable

its as bad well not as bad as the idiots that think an AMF Roadmaster is made by Harley Davidson so therefor worth tons of money

It was made in China?

tawian

it was made by the Merida Bicycle Co

they are still in business making bicycles and ebikes

Yeah Indians are tied for last place of mopeds.

Indians

AMF friction drive roadmasters

Only thing good about them is their rims should fit on Puchs.

If you could put a different engine on one it might not be half bad.

Sorry man, I hope you didn't pay too much for it, but they really and truly are crap.

I'd still put it ahead of the friction drive, at least it can do 30 when it runs

Ok so if the AMF friction drive is so shitty like the Indian, then why is Solex so fuckin cool ???

and so I don't thread jack; ROFLAMO $2000 bought from an Indian dealer.

This has been posted before, average at best as a moped, parts are hard to get, wall art would be ok, 2 you are out of your mind. These are slow. There is the convienience of being able to pull up to the pump and fill up. That is it. For 2k you could have several nice mopeds and a van to cary them in. Pass unless you are rich and wierd!

i rebuilt one of these a couple months ago. it wasn't too bad to work on. took apart the ohv head and bead blasted it, cleaned up the valves, regapped everything then powder coated the top end. threw a jap carb on it. it ran well so i delivered it back to gymme and he rode it up and down the alley.then put it back where it came from,, in the back of the moped pile. i initiated fixing it for him and drug it home.

i went through everything and can honestly say,,mabe $100 tops.

Solex is cool, because it's crazy reliable, decent quality, and parts are readily available. On top of that, they're a hoot to ride with that FWD.

Solex is cool just because, well they just are. I want one bad, no idea why. Slow and weird, sort of like me.

Put the Solex engine and the Amf engine side by side and the difference is obvious. The Amf engine has a 1 piece crankcase, cylinder and head, then the crankcase cover/intake is plastic. Its similar to the sort of engine you would find on a real low end string trimmer. As for the Solex, its probably the best selling moped of all time. You don't sell 7 million plus bikes if your not doing something right.

^word! I just still think they are cool. :)

Larry Picarello /

Those Indian mopeds feature the softest bolts known to man...trust me, I used to sell them "back in the day".

my indian did 35-37mph all day. rehabbed by daytripper and son. making them go fast isn't impossible.

that, and you don't see any roadmaster racing break>

yeah my indian would run great too until id get half way to where i was going then it would just die but still have bright blue spark getting plenty of gas and have great compression but wont start

yet my old honda 4 stroke has low compression weak spark prolly gets enough gas but has no air box and it runs great and starts every time and never breaks down

if they copied a pc50 why didnt they make it run like a pc50

oh also my pc50 has the original spark plug and i believe 40 year old oil too cause its like muck in there

Pushrod Fifty /

Solex biikes are wicked rare around here, They are so cool looking.

^I second the reliability of the PC50. I got mine last year -- original plug, never had an oil change, and hadn't been started since 1986. Three turns of the pedals and it fired up, running well.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account