Hobbit: Rat ped or restore?

So I'm building up a '78 Hobbit, going for a custom. I've got the whole thing all disassembled right now. My original plan was to just clean up everything and throw it back together leaving the ratty, original, faded red paint and rusted chrome. But since I've got the whole thing disassembled anyways, should I just redo it? I was thinking maybe getting the whole thing powder coated, (maybe a metallic red powder?)

Ideas? Opinions?

Re: Hobbit: Rat ped or restore?

Mine was rusty and busted. I stripped and de-rusted everything with assorted wire wheels. I would really, really recommend getting it sand blasted and powder coated if at all possible. Rust begets more rust, I really recommend cleaning it up.

If you don't mind me askin, how much did it cost to powder your 'ped?

Pushrod Fifty /

Do a good paint job with Rustoleum, it will last a long time.

I got no beef with spray paint, I painted my tomos with rattle cans and it came out beautiful. Unfortunately, about 2 years later it's not holding up too great. There are gas stains running down the side of the frame from the gas cap, any where a cable rubbed, wore right through the paint. I must have used 2 cans of clear on that thing too.

I know I'd be happier sticking with the original paint before I try to paint it, cause I know the original stuff is going to be stronger than anything I can spray... that's why if I don't stick with the original, I'm going to get it professionally powder coated.

always liked rat hobbits more

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

Anybody can do Rat. Pros do Blast & Bling!

Blast and Bling is some serious girly-man shit.

I mean, I dig fast peds, but jeezuz...go buy a rice rocket.

rock finally shredding pow /

ive never seen anything other than a tomos with bling on it.

fast is way more fun than looks.

As far as the engine goes, right now I'm just sticking with Peter's Buddy Hobbit formula. I've already got a blaster, I'm looking to build a reliable daily that will still keep up with traffic... and look cool doing it, haha.

here's what it is, have you got a lot of moneys?

I dont, and I wish I hadnt squandered my bucks on look-pretty parts and paint for my bike. Ratty bikes are just as fun, if not more fun because you're not always fearing the loss of your prettiness.

Also pretty takes a lot to maintain. do you wanna roll outta bed lookin like a badass or style your hair in front of a mirror?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account