Negrini Moped - initial assesment

Hey gang,

I went and picked up my Negrini on Saturday. (See post: "Diggin' myself a deep hole"). Best $40.99 i ever spent;-)

Overall the ped looks very complete. Initial problems:

1. motor seems to be seized, as the pedals won't turn forwards. They will turn backwards.

2. Rust in the gastank - suggestions here?

3. wiring harness hacked apart and pieces missing. - is there a site with any basic moped wiring diagrams? I can't imagine they are very different from one another.

4. Twistgrip/Throttle frozen. - no clue as to why. maybe rusted...

Lots of surface rust on the 'ped, but the seats in great shape, and there's not even any dents in the gastank. It should clean up real nice.

I'm gonna start takin' it apart tonight, i'll keep ya'll posted.

Mike K.

Hatfield, PA

Re: Negrini Moped - initial assesment

Ron Brown /

Mike,

For things that are frozen, piston in cylinder, slide in carb, cables in outer sheath etc. Remember that gently and persistently work much better than a harmmer!

Soak the parts in a good, non corrosive penetrant, then wait a long time. Judicial application of heat, where possible, works wonders.

Remember that evin appaently immovable obkects flex a little bit. Work things back and forth gently rathere than in one direction severely. This should help the penetrant to get where it needs to go.

Avoid putting heavy loads on good parts to free up bad parts. If the piston is stuck, gently rocking the flywheel is ok, wrenches and lengths of pipe will result in a bad crank and bent rod. I have personally spent hours rocking a crank to free a stuck piston with great success. I have also seen the resuls of some hammersmiths, not good.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ron

You might try muritic acid to get the rust out of your tank. Its highly corrosive so be cautious and if you don

Ron Brown /

Mike,

See the thread "Cleaning gas tank with acid" re Phosphoric acid.

Ron

Hello,

I have also just purchased a Negrini moped-1977 model. It is basically in the same shape as yours-frozen engine,stuck throttle,ext-I have also been looking for wiring diagrams,owners manual,and any info on my moped. All I have found so far is info on the engine -morini franco mo-1. Manuals are available via internet. My wiring seems to be in good condition and almost complete. I could take pictures and post them on the internet if it would help you . I would greatly appreciate any info on any resources on negrini mopeds.

Good Luck

Brian

Are you a mechanic?You seem to have a better concept of mechanical things than some trained mechanics I know.I have been a professional mechanic for 28 years,and I can't believe how many times I've seen trained and experienced mechanics reach for a bigger hammer or a long piece of pipe to put on a wrench when something is stuck.Jerry.

Jason Luther /

is the back wheel frozen (stuck)? disconnect the chain and see if the motor turns then. if you cant get the pedal to turn over _at all_ , even when not trying to start it, you have some serious problems.

Negrini Moped - initial assesment

Hey, I have a 1977 Negrini Moped as well. So far no luck with finding any sort of wiring diagrams, manuals, etc. But if you know what you're looking for, mine runs great and I'd be willing to describe/take pictures for you.

Brian

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account