San Francisco: BATS Ride Saturday April 24th

Hey Cats,

The Bay Area Two Strokes (BATS) are having a ride on Saturday April 24th through the Marin Mountains. I've recently been hanging out at 1977 and Tweetland where I've been meeting some of the local Loin, there has been interest in the BATS rides and the two-smokin' bikes that we ride.

We ride Derbi GPRs and Aprilia RS50s, ~50-80cc two-strokes, very similar to the moped engine bikes with more plastics hiding what's underneath - kind of a shame really to hide these smokers. We use the same kits (Metrakit, Malossi, Polini, etc) pipes, and carbs on our bikes that are used on the mopeds. Think of us as lost wayward brothers. There is so much overlap it seems natural to intermingle.

If you are interested in exercising your bike these roads provide much twisty entertainment and you may find this ride to your liking. Below is a link to the post discussing the ride on the Bats forum (you may need to create an account to see the images) and a link to the google map of the route.

-Rob-

"more info":http://www.bayareatwostroke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2577

"Route Overview":http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Garfield+St&daddr=Font+Blvd+to:Lake+Merced+Blvd+to:Sunset+Blvd+to:Sunset+Blvd+to:John+F+Kennedy+Dr+to:Point+Lobos+Ave+to:El+Camino+Del+Mar+to:Clement+St+to:34th+Ave+to:2nd+St+to:CA-1+N%2FShoreline+Hwy+to:Muir+Woods+Rd+to:Panoramic+Hwy+to:37.957598,-122.630424+to:Lincoln+Blvd+to:34th+Ave+to:Garfield+St&geocode=FX2OPwIdQE-z-A%3BFe2cPwIduwqz-A%3BFTe1PwIdaeay-A%3BFdDkPwIdieKy-A%3BFfskQAIdD96y-A%3BFb5UQAIdWKKy-A%3BFctzQAIdiJey-A%3BFSl8QAIdAKay-A%3BFYp-QAIdFryy-A%3BFf-FQAIdW9iy-A%3BFViHQQIdiBez-A%3BFdj2QQIdY_Kx-A%3BFYk1QgId1L-x-A%3BFdxIQgIdrBOx-A%3B%3BFYzWQAId8iqz-A%3BFRSMQAIdwM6y-A%3BFXqOPwIds0yz-Cnrx-zFyn2PgDH96oCo0iEz4Q&gl=us&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=14&sz=13&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,15,16&dirflg=h&sll=37.932554,-122.600727&sspn=0.072301,0.142651&ie=UTF8&ll=37.860218,-122.488632&spn=0.289489,0.570602&t=h&z=11

Re: San Francisco: BATS Ride Saturday April 24th

Hey rob, I have a beat-to-shit yamaha vino 125. it's four stroke, so i don't fit in with anybody. can i ride it anyway?

Hey Mike,

Does _B2S_ mean that it burns oil? Could be an escape clause in there somewhere. ;P

-Rob-

San Francisco: BATS Ride Saturday April 24th

Just bumping this up as the ride is tomorrow (Saturday). Hope to see you out there. Let me know if you have questions.

- Rob -

Never had a clue those bikes even existed. Moped Army keeps hiding stuff like this from me!

Hey David,

Or showing you since you learned about them here. :P

They are way fun - I rode my GPR on the Creatures/Sunset Riders ride last weekend in SF, that was a lot of fun.

I've seen from photos and videos that there are quite a few of the Honda MB5s or NS50s that show up at the rallies. Since Derbi has such a strong presence in the moped sphere, and that there there is so much over lap with the technology it seems natural to integrate. :)

The one nice thing these bikes have is the six speed transmissions - this makes it somewhat easier to keep the revs in the power band, which on a two-stroke is everything. :P

On the Bats forum we regularly post up double digit bikes that we see for sale, so if you are interested in one that's a good place to check. Let me know if you have questions about them.

-Rob-

Your bike was pretty sick lookin, too, dude.

I wish I could come. I am still tuning my bike. I need to get working on my Sabre 50, which is a 4 speed small displacement, 50cc, Puch motorcycle.

awesome, i wish i wasn't out of town for this.

Rob,

Thanks for the nice words. I use to have an MB5 and got hooked on these small bikes. When I learned about the Derbis and the Aplilias - like the MB5 with better brakes, suspension, transmissions etc. - my excitement grew even more.

I've been posting to Bats deals on these bikes as they show up, and others on Bats do the same. Right now there are about 6 of these bikes for sale in the bay area - most of them between $1,000 to $2,000, and there are a bunch strewn around the country. I recently bought one on the east coast and I'm in the process of shipping it to SF. I can't buy all these bikes so the next best thing is to get my friends to buy them. :P

Oh and hey a big thanks again for last weekend's ride/bbq - I throughly enjoyed myself. Loved that cloud of Two-Smoke.

Dustin,

We'll be riding again next month. I'll post here when we firm up the details. It would be great to see you ride with us. And there is noise about doing a Bats ride in LA.

-Rob-

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account