Re: 70cc kits on 1975 to 1980 mopeds

Rich /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Bill:

I've got a 70 cc kit w/exhaust on my 76 PUCH Maxi. It probably runs @ the speeds you are talking about. Mine runs about 45+ (however I weight 235#).I use mine to pull the steep hills where I live. With respect to the kit, the dudes are mostly likely correct re the use, but I haven't had any problems so far, other than the idle speeds. I've been using a 4:1 mixture w/gas (break-in mixture recommended by the accompanying literature & my mechanic for 300 miles). He also cautioned me not to run it "maxed-out" for an extended period during break-in. I just cruise around @ 3/4 throttle. He also recommended using the synthetic 2-cycle oil over the conventional oil (castrol??)-- better lubrication & reduced smoke. The 1st thing I recommend is "beefing up" your stock brakes, because otherwise the 1st panic stop will be a "pants cleaning operation" at the very least. If you really want more speed, try the sprocket route, I believe there is an PUCH 18 tooth front sproket that will add 5-10 mph to top end, but your excel & and low end tourque( ability to pull hills) will go down, it's less than $20 from mopedjunkyard. com.

By the way, here in VA your ped w/70cc kit is now classified as a motorcyle. In VA the law basically classifies Mopeds as vehicle w/less than a 50cc engine & which can not be driven over 35 mph.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account