70cc kits on 1975 to 1980 mopeds

so I recently put a 70cc after market (fast arrow brand) piston, head, and cylinder, that is well used but has a new ring, on my 1978 puch/kormag freespirit moped. to my best estimation it will hit 50 mph on a flat road.

I'd like to know what I can do to make it go faster?

and I'd like to know what people think of the 70cc kit in general?

is it still a moped?

is it a motorcycle?

its really fast and not really built for it

bill@mopedarmy.com

what do you think an "air scoop" would do for me?

freespirit2.jpg

Re: 70cc kits on 1975 to 1980 mopeds

personally, i think that kits are junk, and aren't worth it. it will only cost you MUCH $$$ in the end to keep it running, and/or fix the damage it caused. I had one on my tomos. Payed $350 for a kit that lasted 2 months, and only ran good for half that time. if you want something like a moped, but a little faster, get an old honda or something. Thats why i got my 1975 Honda CB125s (125cc 5 speed) Only cost me $500 ( A LOT less than what it cost me to maintain my moped with the kit)

Well, i'd have to say that anything w/ a motor AND pedals is still a MoPed. This is such a tricky question, though, since a kick-start 50cc Tomos is not, by this definition a "moped." Neither is a scooter (Honda Spree, Yamaha Razz).

I'm not sure how safe I'd feel going 50+ mph on a moped. But I, at least, will have to be consistent and say that it is a moped.

Of course, definitions are also meant to be flexible ... and a democratic society is based on consensus ...

Reeperette /

>>what do you think an "air scoop" would do for me<<

Besides hosing yer mixture ? prolly not much.

You could try it, and I guess it is possible to get a correct mixture doing that, but I've never had any success with the old forced-air trick, no.

Apparently the shape of the scoop matters a lot too, but that's beyond my knowledge.

-Ree

Bill:

I've got a 70 cc kit w/exhaust on my 76 PUCH Maxi. It probably runs @ the speeds you are talking about. Mine runs about 45+ (however I weight 235#).I use mine to pull the steep hills where I live. With respect to the kit, the dudes are mostly likely correct re the use, but I haven't had any problems so far, other than the idle speeds. I've been using a 4:1 mixture w/gas (break-in mixture recommended by the accompanying literature & my mechanic for 300 miles). He also cautioned me not to run it "maxed-out" for an extended period during break-in. I just cruise around @ 3/4 throttle. He also recommended using the synthetic 2-cycle oil over the conventional oil (castrol??)-- better lubrication & reduced smoke. The 1st thing I recommend is "beefing up" your stock brakes, because otherwise the 1st panic stop will be a "pants cleaning operation" at the very least. If you really want more speed, try the sprocket route, I believe there is an PUCH 18 tooth front sproket that will add 5-10 mph to top end, but your excel & and low end tourque( ability to pull hills) will go down, it's less than $20 from mopedjunkyard. com.

By the way, here in VA your ped w/70cc kit is now classified as a motorcyle. In VA the law basically classifies Mopeds as vehicle w/less than a 50cc engine & which can not be driven over 35 mph.

I'm running 18 teeth in the front and 32 in the back

(very little acceleration)

with a 72 jet in my carb and no air filter at all

and it wants more air that why I thought air scoop but I think I will try a smaller jet and have a few laying around

I agree that the kit are over priced and crappy

this is the second bike its been put on because it heat seized and broke a ring

on the first one. I bought it used for 75 dollars

there is no way to legally operate a 70cc moped on the streets in michigan

but I have been pulled over I just say that I bought it this way and I have no idea why it goes so fast.

what pipe do you have and what does it do for you?

I don't have one

bill

I've got a BiTurbo. It came w/the kit. I see you are already onto the carb. route (i.e., changing jet sizes). I haven't tried that, nor have I tried the air scoop. It was hard enough to make the dang kit fit together in the 1st place. My mechanic wanted a small fortune to do it, so a buddy of mine (an ole street racer), a 12 pack, and I did it. There was a lot of "hey watch this" but we got everything working. In short I'm not about to take the carb. apart unless I have to. That is a "hateful" job.

Re the Cops. I got pulled over last fri. & the officer who pull me was more interested in whether I had a drivers license than a legal ped. I was doing re 40. In this state you don't need a license for a ped, however the law does prohibit you from operating a ped if your license has been revoked. Guys around here try to use a ped to get around after their license has been revoked for a DWI. Not my case, I just enjoy riding the ped. However, the motorcycle officer who arrived while he was checking my license was another story. I just admitted to the biturbo and said the original one had rusted out & I replaced it. He looked at the carb. & the head. I know he knew, but he didn't say anything. They just let me go and said be careful.

i'm surprised the copy knew anything. most cops can't tell what anything is on a moped (at least around here). they don't even know the laws (bill was asked to ride on the sidewalk!).

Do you have any upgrade kits for a 1998 Kinetic TFR? I'm looking to upgrade it to make it go fater.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account