rusty tank

happened to buy my moped from 1977mopeds in cali, noticed that my gas tank is completely rusted! Anybody with experience out there cleaning a tank out? pretty bummed

Re: rusty tank

campeona del mundo /

wiki wiki wiki

how rusted? i couldn't imagine 77 putting the time in on that bike and leaving the tank rusty. yeah, just read the wiki and be glad you have a removable tank. remove the seat and the tank slides off, make sure you drain it first. i like to use evaporust for tanks that aren't really messed up. it's easier and not toxic, but a little pricey.

I second evaporust

that sucks...their mopeds are usually pretty pricey too

I use "the works" cleaner for 1.40 a quart. works great

I 3rd Evaporust. Cleaned one of the worst tanks I have ever seen.

yea it was really pricey, :( thanks for the advice!

Ill take a photo of it, its pretty bad, took a flashlight to it, had others check it out, its the whole inside, idkk, thanks for the advice,

I'd take it back to them. Have them do it or get a partial refund. Those bikes are too expensive to have rusty tanks that is BS.

first shake it with water, gravel and nuts and bolts inside, then works toilet cleaner- be careful!!! that shit reacts with rust like a sonofabich - fumes and all.

Çhåvëz • /

I just cleaned out my Maxi with water and the whole driveway is filled with rust. Nasty! I must have taken 25 pitchers of hot water out to flush it. Big rust particles kept pouring out. A hose would have been much easier but it was freezing that day.

If a tank is cleaned with acid it will rerust very quickly. Most tanks have some rust in them. you did buy a thirty year old ped.

evaporust will clean it, but the vapors that come off of evaporust will also cause rust. so fill the tank all the way.

you can use cocacola to remove rust.

If the rust isnt caked up and flaking dont worry about it. keep your tank full and run a filter.

if the tank is removable. fill it with gas and roofing nails and shake for an hour or so.

rust is the new carbon fiber.

which bike did you buy from 77?

Baller much?

The truth of the matter is, if this bike was sitting with some gas in it for a long period of time without being run and the tanks isn't sealed with Red Kote or something similar, that shit would rust up in a few months. No way it's anything more than surface rust which is super easy to take care of...

Get a can of Red Kote on ebay... a quart is good.

drain your tank, remove the fuel valve, cover with duct tape all for holes and fill it with hot soapy water nuts and bolts. Dawn is good. You have to get the two stroke oil out of there for the Red Kote to work. Slosh it around a bunch, violent shaking of the tank so that the nuts and bolts will remove any loose rust particles. Then do it again with just the hot soapy water. Then rinse the tank so that there is no more soap... Let it dry completely... Should take a few days to fully dry.

Then you plug all of the holes back up and dump the entire can of Red Kote in there. Then slowly turn the tank every which way so that the red kote coats the entire inside of the tank...

Once you feel good that it's all coated, remove the tape covering the spot where the fuel valve was and drain what's left back into the can because it can be reused. Let it dry for about a week and you will never have to worry about a rusty tank ever again.

Every tank should be coated in my opinion. It's too easy for them to rust.

I'm sure that tank was nice before they took the time to paint it... But then it probably sat for months with gas in it...

No big deal. it's a removable tank. If it were a step through with the tank in frame, it would be really bad, but it's not and you are good.

I just got a bottle of evaporust in the mail and plan to de-rust this weekend. The wiki says to first use a de-greasing solution. What's the best thing to use for this? Will hot soapy water (dish soap?) do an equally good job?

Also: anyone have info on how/where to discard gasoline in SF?

I have a Maxi so this is gonna be a pain in the ass...

I use Dawn. Works awesome. Seals many o tanks in my day...

evaporust and gravel. let it sit for a day or two shaking periodically. empty and rinse with hot water and rubbing alcohol. then immediately fill with fresh premix.

The Works if you're impatient, in a hurry, and cheap. Evaporust if you don't like the idea of acid, you have time, and you have money. Either way, degrease and use something to get the chunks out first (rocks, hardware, or a high pressure hose, to name a few methods).

Dude use C-L-R this stuff works great and it seals to prevent it from rusting again.

You can get it at Home Depot for cheap.

The same clr from the infomercials? How does it "seal"?

Pittsburgh! You probably know my wife(I'm from pittsburgh too but she's more moped social)

Anyway, I had to clean a ton of rust out of my Tomos. I just bought a gallon of phosphoric acid from home depot and it worked great. I shook some nuts and bolts around inside the tank to knock big chunks loose, cleaned that out. rinsed it with some simple green, and then poured the phosphoric acid in it. I just let it sit on each side for about 20 minutes and flipped it, then drained it. I did that back in July/August, and even only filled the tank back up 1/4 of the way with gas and have just let it sit since last summer, and it hasn't rusted again.

From what i hear, if you don't completely wash all the acid out, it will dry and coat the tank and keep it from rusting for at least a while.

You're very lucky your tanks comes off. I had to strip my entire step through frame down down.

I have tried CLR on several things and never had any luck with it at all.

they didnt inform you of a rusty tank?

Josh, why did you have to strip the frame down? Was it because you didn't have enough acid to fill the tank and had to flip it? Seems like it would be a lot easier to do it upright, in a setup like this:

http://mopedhq.blogspot.com/2009/09/moped-tank-rust-removal.html

"No big deal. it

I had them build me a magnum theres pics of it on my profile, it was a 3,400 they have it on their site as the white rider.

Ive had it since the winter, Put gas it it once then cleaned it out, let it sit for less than a month,

I saw the rust when it was delivered, have no experience with gas tanks, wasnt till i meet up with some other moped owners and they saw it did i know how bad it was.

Ive been riding it daily, hasnt sat with gas in it, so it def wasnt my fault, plus after being told that the amount of rust in it would def take more than a few months to form.

thank you for the tips, i really appreciate the time you took,

Ive had it since the winter, Put gas it it once then cleaned it out, let it sit for less than a month,

I saw the rust when it was delivered, have no experience with gas tanks, wasnt till i meet up with some other moped owners and they saw it did i know how bad it was.

Ive been riding it daily, hasnt sat with gas in it, so it def wasnt my fault, plus after being told that the amount of rust in it would def take more than a few months to form.

thank you for the tips, i really appreciate the time you took,

anyone ever try the vineagar method from the wiki??

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account