infernal clutches!!

hi, i have a 1992 tomos targa w/ a bi-turbo. once i hit the gas on it it just kinda sits there for a sec while the engine revs a little then it goes slow at first then faster. but on my friend's moped the second you hit the gas it jerks you forward. are my clutches bad? i have another clutch pack if they are but i dont wanna take it apart if it is good. thanks for the help.

-mike

Re: infernal clutches!!

does it litteraly just sit there for a second ... or does it just very slowly accelerate? it might just be that you have low bottom end (slow acceleration) and your friend has high bottom end (fast acceleration). if that's the case, then it's not a clutch problem at all, but rather a gearing thing.

Chris Robertson /

If the clutch is bad, it will sound like the engine is revving without the corresponding increase in speed (i.e. the clutch is slipping).

Chris.

me and my friend have the same bikes. and it does just sit there for a second revving low then high and after it revs high it finally starts to move but one im moving it feels like it slips a little

Chris Robertson /

Your clutch is supposed to slip when you start moving --this prevents the engine from stalling (like a standard transmission in a car). Slipping is only a problem if it happens when you're moving at a good pace (say 10mph or faster).

Chris.

my friends moped doesnt sit there it actually catches and moves you. well im gonna try the new clutches and see what happens

On the Tomos ped, if it dont want to go, especially cold, sometimes just changing the tranie fluid will correct, use Type F. If not shifting properly, you can cut groves in the clutch pads, like the aquatread tire to let the fluid escape quicker. This info, I got from a dealer and a repair shop. Mabe it will help sometime. Doug D.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account