Does a wet clutch need to be wet?

---------------- LaZer ------------* /

I have a Rizzato Califfo that uses a wet clutch. I currently have the top end off along with the engine side covers. If I spin the peddles fast enough the clutch engages and the crank starts turning, but if I hold the crank rod I can turn the peddles as fast as I am able and I get no movement on the crank. I took the back of the clutch plate off (large C-clip) and I can see the clutch shoes and they look like they have a good amount of pad on them yet. So, my question is does the crankcase need to be filled with oil for the wet clutch to work properly?

Re: Does a wet clutch need to be wet?

yes it sure does.

the short of the long is yes it needs to be filled with oil for it to work properly!it would work without it but it would destroy the clutch and who knows what else

the best thing to use it liquid glue cause its sticky and the clutch will work better and will not slip

HAHAHAH....^

Saying that it would work without oil concerns me since it seems to be slipping with ant tension applied to the crank rod. I have no intention of running it without oil.

the crankcase implies that its inside where the crank is at, which is lubed by the 2 stroke oil you put in gas. As for the clutch side case, yes it does need to be filled with oil.stock clutches will engage early aftermarket ones will engage later.

oil is slippy why would you wanna put somethin slippy on your clutch

Sorry for the incorrect terminology. Thanks for the insight. I'll assemble the engine a@ planned. I just thought it was odd that clutch seemed to slip when the clutch case was drained.

I understood your question. I think people play dum to make silly posts so people will fall down laughing at the overwhelming humor. I love to laugh too, but anyway unless you got something hanging up _because_ it's too dry (which it shouldn't matter with that much tenson) Then; YES it should function and engage etc, without the oil. Of course ya don't wanna run it that way.

maybe i didn't understand your question. hahhaa wow. I think I'll look over there, behind the couch for awhile til I forget about this.

The clutch itself does not need to be wet.

For evidence of this take a look at the various Ducati motorcycles with 100hp and dry clutches. Or, have you ever seen the clutch on a mini-bike. It is just hanging on the end of the B&S crankshaft.

Here is the kicker: behind the clutch are the gears, and that is where the oil needs to be. The clutch and the gears are in a common gearcase.

Crappy. That means my clutch is probably shot then. I wonder where I can find a replacement. First I'm going to have to find a compatible clutch puller. I measured the threaded hole were the clutch puller goes and I got 27mm.

dude, you sound like your just not a moped dude, better luck next time.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account