question

this my be dumb but what can be done to make a moped go faster

Re: question

lots of different things. but you need to let us know what kind of moped you have and all the other details you can think of so we can help.

generally, simply tune ups can increase performance. after that, there are modifications of various sorts you can also do.

but you give us more info ... someone can give you more advice.

normaly, mopeds (in England anyway) are restricted by their exhausts. If you can, i would suggest either taking the exhaust off and looking for a washer or getting a tuned pipe for your moped.

nick, until you ask more specific questions, i can't really help you. but ... on a minarelli engine, here are the things you can do to make a moped go faster (i think most of this is universal):

first, simple tune-up. be sure the moped runs as it should. that means especially proper timing. also that the muffler is not carbonized (i.e. clean it)

modifications can also be made. they include minor ones, such as chaning jet screws or carburetors (go from a 14.9 to a 14.12 and notice the huge difference). you can also get a larger manifold.

other major (or more dramatic/costly) modifications include chaning to a bigger front sproket (slower acceleration, but much faster top speed). also, a performance muffler (e.g. biturbo, polini, leo vinci).

finally, you can mess w/ pistons and cylinders. this can be something simple like making sure you have a true 50cc piston and cylinder (my bianchi was NOT and had to be modified to hit 30mph). or you can get a 70cc speed kit.

i think that pretty much covers it.

colin mccabe /

lots of things, more to the more modern scoots but with older scoots you,le need

a bit of engineering knowhow.

ideas ; bigger carb

an expansion chamber exhaust (2 stroke)

cleaning up the ports in the cylinder block

skimming the cylinder head (to raise compression)

advancing ignition timing ( be carefull )

variator kit ( for newer scoots )

big bore kits

hope to have been some help. any probs i,ll try to help. email nobrot6@icqmail.com

colin mccabe /

lots of things, more to the more modern scoots but with older scoots you,le need

a bit of engineering knowhow.

ideas ; bigger carb

an expansion chamber exhaust (2 stroke)

cleaning up the ports in the cylinder block

skimming the cylinder head (to raise compression)

advancing ignition timing ( be carefull )

variator kit ( for newer scoots )

big bore kits

hope to have been some help. any probs i,ll try to help. email nobrot6@icqmail.com

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account