What to Look For? (First moped)

AndrewfromSF /

I'm going to be back home in San Francisco for Spring Break, and want to use my time to search for and buy a moped off craigslist. Any advice on what to look for or what to ask the owner, or anything I made need to know before purchasing? I am aware of the licensing and insurance procedures.

Thanks.

Re: What to Look For? (First moped)

xxXxXX XxxxxxXX /

Bikes with a Puch one-speed E50 engine are good because there's tons of parts availability and repair/modification information online, and it's a really simple drivetrain to work on, especially if you're not real experienced working on engines. For example Puch Maxi, Freespirit, Pinto, and Swinger...

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

if it doesn't run, dont buy it.

hey Andrew- i live in SF and i have a few things for sale- email me with your budget and what your lookin for.

yep go for a puch with an e50 engine. definately the perfect starter bike. as far as things to look for, check to make sure it runs, first of all, then check to make sure things like the lights and brakes work, and make sure the gas tank isn't too rusty on the inside

Prob get a Puch if one is avail, make sure the inside of the gas tank is not all rusty though, Honda Pa-50II is a good bet as well. Look for a bike that has been well maintained, stored inside. Mopeds hate to sit in yards in the rain and snow, they develop cancer=rust. Get one with paperwork if where you live requires it. Best of luck!

Elliott I e-mailed your listed address.

totally score one from someone on here - good folks and if you're down to ride it's even more fun in a crew than solo.

try the buy/sell forum too.

Yeah there is a bunch of people that ride in SF most everyone is older you and me might be the youngest people around. Stop by 1977 mopeds on 16th and mission right across the street from the bart station, they sell some bikes and can also help you out with questions. Anything you need really. And Elliot is awesome, he is really nice and i know he will give you a good deal on any bike and can give you a few pointers and info on moped stuff. Good luck. I will be back in SF for spring break as well on thursday. E-mail me if you have any questions.

no groms no blasters /

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account