DC's moped laws

So, anyone know what Washington DC's moped laws are like?

Re: DC's moped laws

xxXxXX XxxxxxXX /

Mopeds can't exceed 1.5hp or 35mph, can ride on bike paths but not on bike trails. Need inspection, $10 registration, and insurance, but need only a drivers licence to operate, no helmet if over 18.

xxXxXX XxxxxxXX /

Sorry, the $10 registration fee, as seen on this MPDC flyer seems outdated. DC official code

I ride in DC frequently and have since 2003. No inspection, registration, etc. I've NEVER had a problem. When I lived in MD I commuted every day by ped downtown from Takoma Park, via 13th street, 7 miles each way, for 3 years (ever since I kitted my first bike). I never had any issues with police stopping me. DC is really the ideal town for moped riding. I wouldn't worry about it.

Wow, great info guys, thank you.

DC's moped laws

From what I've read/heard DC's laws are fucked up.. If you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different answers.

no groms no blasters /

banned in dc

I ride in DC often, without troubles. So long as you keep a printed copy of the law where you have your licence most interactions with the police are simple.

If your doing 50 in a 25 you'll still get the ticket, they just have a hard time writing it.

Watch for a post about a ride now that its getting warm, however i think its gonna piss rain for the next week or so. My stuff doesn't rip till i get some more treats, trying to wait patiently.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account