Need to paint ped. Teardown or Mask off?

hello.

I need to paint the frame of my first moped. 77 Bianchi Bianchimatic.

I'm a little apprehensive about a full tear down.

My question is should i just do the tear down, or mask it for the paint job.

Opinions / Experiences??

thanks,

keith.

Re: Need to paint ped. Teardown or Mask off?

tear down. end of discussion.

Tear it down. Much better job if you actually want a nice one. sand it down past the gloss, but not to bare metal. Wet sand with 400 to 600 grit.

^to qualify that, it will look better and you will learn more about your moped tearing it down and putting it back together than you will from reading anything on this forum. Go for it. Anything mistakes you make can be repaired or (for parts) replaced.

tear down. take your time. make sure you pay attention to every nut and bolt so you can put it all back together right. take your time, don't rush it, and do it right. you won't be disappointed.

When I do a teardown I take lots of pics, and put nuts bolts washers etc in ziploc baggies and use a sharpie to lable the bags.

sharpie likes to wear off tho, not a big deal if what you bagged together makes sense so its easy to figure out, but those label bags or some masking tape help.

---------------- LaZer ------------* /

Tear down

Patrick Colford /

Tear down..Doing a Sachs Balboa right now..my first ped tear down..I was/am a little nervous about putting it back together..but i took a lot of pics and have a manual and there is always the forum, so I say go for it..what's the worst that can happen..

Cheers,

Patrick

i just did my puch. definitely tear down. its not as big of a deal as you might think. make sure you buy enough paint tho almost ran out.

NO QUESTION. TEAR DOWN.

if you plan on owning that ped for a while, get used to it. at this point you could put every single piece of a maxi or a pinto in front of me, seperated, and after a few minutes of looking, i could tell you every piece that was missing.

and once they were found, i could put it together with no instruction.

get to that point, and you'll realize anything is possible with your moped. its a good place to be.

agreed, If you want you're moped to look good, do a tear down. If you're going for the stolen and resprayed look, then just mask it off.

I tore my tomos down to the last bolt to repaint it. Now I've got a sweet paint job, and know my bike inside and out... thinking about doing it again as a matter of fact.

Just paint the thing. No need to take it apart or mask it or anything like that. Just a big old bucket of paint and a good wide brush and start painting.

Seat, paint it.

Wheels, paint them, tires too.

You get the idea, just go hog wild with paint.

The best thing you could do if have a big enough of a vat is fill it with paint and just dip the entire bike.

Seriously now. You will get much better results taking it apart to paint it. Lightly sand the old paint, and use the best paint you can get.

Cheers!

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

If the paint isn't chipped, try rubbing compound and then polishing compound, and wax. My Scorpion was real faded, but polished right up.

1267154625_phto0071.jpg

you don't always have to tear down _completely_, just be smart about it and mask well. my bianchimatic repaint job:

before^

self etch is your friend.

Rust-o-leum cobalt blue metallic is a near dead match^

solution for kinda rust-pitted rims^

not even BJ has Bianchimatic sized Bianchi decals, gotta cut your own^

don't forget to wet-sand

and BLAM, that's how it's done son. lazy disassembly style.

its not easy being ...cheezy..

tear it down, unless you do something like that bianchi above, which is close enough.

The first paint job I did was on a hobbit that had been completely just pooped on with spray paint.

Like everything was brown.

Spokes, plastics, everything except the tires (because they had been changed after I assume) and the lights.

I thought I could save time and do a good job just with masking and taping, but it didn't turn out that way. Between sanding all the little crevasses and masking sit like the wheels and cables and little picky things like that stuff, it ended up taking longer than if I had just pulled it apart and painted each part separate.

Tear it down. I know it looks intimidating the first time, but there really isn't that much to a moped.

On top of the other stuff people have said, I always think its a good idea to have a friend or two to help. That way you have more than one person making sure shit doesn't get lost/broken/put back together wrong.

power coat powder coat powder coat

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account