new ped, first time out today

so i registered my new maxi-luxe this afternoon. the bolts that i had were too big to connect the plate bracket to the frame, so i just tied it to my backpack and i was on my way. first impression: that high torque cylinder is great... lots of pull on the low end. I was noticing that it would only accelerate at about 1/2 throttle... any more, and it would bog a little bit, making it difficult hitting 20... my first thought is the needle setting, but i'm open to opinions. it does start easy and idle well though.

i rode to a couple places in town, and on my way home, i got pulled over for the first time on a ped... because of the license plate on my backpack... the cop was pretty cool about it though, didn't write a ticket or anything... i just explained that i had only had the plate for an hour, and i even had the bracket in my backpack and i was going to attach it.

cop: you're goin' oldschool

me: yes sir, it's a 1978

cop: you gotta be shittin' me.... ain't you freezing on that thing?

Re: new ped, first time out today

any opinions or possible solutions to its sluggishness? I'm going to start by adjusting the needle setting tomorrow morning, but any insight before i get started could be helpfull

That sounds like jetting to me. Likely need to downjet.

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

remove air filter.

I thought of jetting as a possibility, but i hope the needle setting is off, or maybe the choke is stuck or something... eventually once i've been doing this a while, i'll just have a stockpile of jets to grab at, but right now it's super annoying having to order jets at $3 a pop and wait several days to ride... I'll take the carb apart tomorrow and i'll figure out what's up

clogged exhaust or restricted airbox. Try cleaning out your pipe. Stock Puchs are pretty picky about the air box too. Some of them have a plastic snorkle that goes into the frame. Yours might be missing or if you have it, it might be too restrictive. Try removing it. Also try running it with out the air box at all. You should be able to figure it out pretty quick

Also try cleaning the points.

start with the carb, I think your first assumption is correct. glad your enjoying your first bike.

Salsa Salsa /

take off air filter. if its better. down jet.

That Luxe color has always been my favorite maxi color. Good deal bra.

yeah, it's not my first bike. i've been pedding for almost two years now. i started with a dart, which is how i began learning my way around the e50 and bings, then i sold it and i bought a nice sebring that i rode around for about a year, which helped me learn dellortos, but the thing ran super great so i never had to work on anything other than the carb. last spring i bought a project maxi with only the bottom end of the e50, which i finished off with a kit, 16 del, proma pipe, and switched out the frame and forks to one that i sanded and painted... that one is just about running how i want it, still working on the jetting... then about a week ago i bought this one, pretty much ready to go, and complete... just got it registered yesterday so now i'm tweaking it to get it running right. definately a good time. i'll get it straightened out tomorrow, and i'll post updates

so i was getting ready to go outside to solve this issue, but when i opened my blinds i noticed we got about 2 inches of snow overnight... i'm still going to see if i can figure out the problem, but i don't want to test it too much and get road slop all over it

ok, so after taking the top of the carb off, i found that the clip was in the highest notch on the needle, so i moved it down two notches... there's still room to go one more if i need to. i also noticed that the choke slide as a pretty loose relationship with the pin it attatches to, so i think it's possible that it was not returning all the way, leaving it partially choked all the time... i fixed all that, started it up, and based on the short ride i took around the parking lot and revving it on the kickstand, it seems like it's a lot better, but everything is covered in snow and slush, so i'm unable to really test it out, and it looks like the weather is going to be shitty for at least a week. i hate NY

rad man, give the sebring a rest for a minute

good luck with the weather

what'd you pick that up for? 1, 1.5 or 2hp?

i sold the sebring a few weeks ago. the sebring, my project maxi, and this stock runner were all from MoPedlar in north jersey. real cool guy that really knows his shit fixing/restoring stock bikes, and his prices are always fair. i got this one for $300, and it's complete and runs. it had been sitting in a garage for the winter, so its just taking a little tweaking to get it right... each time i ride it, it runs a little better.... sort of cleaning out the cobwebs so to speak. It's a 1.5 hp maxi luxe, which came stock with the cast iron high torque cylinder. I like it a lot so far. my next steps will probably be to de-restrict the exhaust, and install a high flow air filter... possibly a hi-comp head, but i'm not sure if an aftermarket alluminum head will work out on this particular cylinder, but it probably will.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account