35-40 mph moby's?? or mobylette????

i thought i had this all figured out, but i recently had some intersting info run by me. I that the "moby" is actually different from a "mobylette" and that a "moby was only made in 1980, and was very fast. I headr that they had a curved manifold on them that came out the side, and had a bigger carb, and ran nearly 40 mph. i just so happen to have a motobecane from 1980. is it a "moby" capable of 40 mph? it has the little stubby manifold, but i happened to pick up a curved one a few days ago. my motobecane can run between 25-30 mph at the moment. if i put a tomos carb, and the curved manifold on, will it be one of those 40 mph beasts that i heard of????

Re: 35-40 mph moby's?? or mobylette????

a great Moby goes about 33 or so. i cannot believe it would ever go 40, but i think it is all in the carb, and the manifold on those. I saw a motobecane with a bing carb run like "a raped ape" as was described by the kid who had it.

I

Vanilladog /

My personal warning to you aboyt the moby comes from me having owned one. I did mods to the carb (enlarged the jet), and also hand filed the mating surfaces of the cylinder head for better compression. Result??? A moby that actually beat my derbi scooter. Also, since the clutch on a moby is NOT made for the extra RPMs, when it would stop at a light, you would have to keep gassing it to keep it from stalling, all due to fact that it was pulling at the clutch constantly. It ended up with a broken crankshaft because of this. Mobys cannot take the extra power, and will self destruct, please leave it alone!

'Nilla Dog

well, im not planning to do crazy mods to it. everything that i heard was all stuff that came from the factory that way

Just picked up an old Mobylette, I think 1960 or so, very much stock, very much original and very fast!! I don't think I'll be modifying anything on this guy...

Just doing a search on sheared crankshafts and found this gem, wow, this forum has come a long way from 10 years ago! No Treats back then.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account