school me on side bleed exhausts

I'm having trouble finding info on how they work. How do you figure out where to put the stinger/s? Do they go by another name i can search for? What are the pros and cons?

I know Motomatic built one for their "Step Up Your Game" bike.

I think I recall Mattology having one too.

Drop some knowledge.

Re: school me on side bleed exhausts

old skool.

Sunset Paul /

bump

does anyone have a picture of this?

Sunset Paul /

"the first bike on this page":http://motomaticmopeds.com/peds.html

That thing is gangster. Wow that's badass

uhhhhhh

Sunset Paul /

There it is! How do you decide where to put the stinger?

uhhhhh

"right here looks good"

hehe

Another question:

Does stinger length get taken into account the same as a pipe that does not side-bleed?

no.

it has 2 advantages that i know of 1 it lets you put the cone all the way back making the power band more powerful in theory. the other advantage is that it releases exhaust gasses out the side of the expansion chamber. making the bike quieter because there is less pressure in that part of the chamber pushing it out. the sound waves also have a side ways dampening bounce before they get out.

it is also called center bleed, if that gets you any more info.

These are nice to add to an existing pipe with a stinger too if you suspect backpressure is too much at higher RPMs

there was this dude at the inverness rally that had one, it was long as heck, aluminum, and the little stinger thing came out about 3/4's towrds the back. he had no silencer, yet it was not that loud. it went pretty fast. i think, then it broke. moral of this story, if you can weld up an expansion chamber that's aluminum, and freakin huge, you can weld up a king kong sized exhaust bracket too. not a fuckin coathanger, dude.

when u run just the center, do you cap off the back... like is the only exit of the pipe through that center stinger?

Sunset Paul /

Apparently you can do both or one, or two in the center like the motomatic bike.

all I can find is goped, RC car, and PWC, enter bleed exhausts.

I was thinking about doing this to fix a pipe to chain ring clearance issue on my ciao.

I just was wondering how different bleed points will change the power band.

I too am interested. Unfortunately I just sent my janktastic pipe off to the welder, otherwise I would have played around with this.

no you don't want to just cap off the end you want to have a cone going to as sharp as a point as you can. you could run one if the back and center. you would have to make both pipes smaller to get the same back pressure. also if you run one in the back your advantages are gone from having a center bleed.

yeah the puch at inverness was sean. good ideas, but he half-asses everything. EVERYTHING. and then he wonders why he gets half-assed results. i haven't had any problems with my side bleed, other than it starting out as an estoril and me hating it for that reason alone

I'm gonna post that comment on Sean's facebook, hahaa, not yours Matt...

I don't half ass anything, I made that expansion chamber to see how it performed, it did really well, except where the nitrates in my fuel cause the aluminum to weaken... And it cracked, seeing as one day prior to that ride, the moped was in parts and I was in bed sick as fuck, I didn't really care to do anything but ride it... The reason I never made a hanger is because I was going to remake the exhaust complety in mild steel sheet metal. Thus why waste the time making a hanger.. And as it sat I never had a problem blasting you ;). And I also have had my simonini sitting in the garage.. (TIMO) The only moral of your story is you are good at talking shit! And matts. Just being matt lol I expect him to talk shit about people that help him out with anything, when I finish my project I'll post pics so everyone can see what I really can do.

If you're going to spend that much time on an exhaust, why _not_ make a hanger so it won't fall apart?

Leave the drama for your mama

don't let his nitrates fool you, the moment arm due to a lack of rear support that the long exhaust created on the header pipe is what caused it to crack, not your nitromethane fuel, sean.

Matt I seem to remember you fucking up a polini because you had your exhaust hanging on with wire. lol!

Yes, and the best thing about it was I took it to a 'performance shop' to have it welded up and given a proper bracket because I didn't have the capabilities at my house.

well we know how that ended up, so I bought my own TIG.

That's the thing I didn't spend (that much time on it at all).. Maybe 2 hours on a sat while at work working. I didn't even think I would fit on the puch seeing as I just guessed at the total length, I do own a TIG (miller syncrowave 250DX) and a MIG wire feed welder, however everything takes time and I always put my friends first! And evans ped needed work so I helped him before putting time into my ped that already ran fine at the time.

Sunset Paul /

You guys done fighting and wanna talk about exhausts?

^^^ yeah what he said! i want some more info!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account