Complete Newb Here

So I'm looking to buy a moped to commute to work and school both being fairly close. I've been browsing craigslist for a while and trying to do research. However, I have a few questions:

I can't find a definitive answer as to what the moped laws are in California. What do I need to do to be legal?

I know nothing about fixing mopeds or cars but am willing to learn. What do I look for when it comes to purchasing a moped? I need something that will work when I first buy it and then later I can repair as I go.

Also, why are there no books on mopeds?

Thanks all! :P

Re: Complete Newb Here

Better Fส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ster /


Look into Tomos. You can get a new reliable bike and get to know how it works before it starts breaking down on you.

Ore find a running Puch on CL. That's where I started. There's tons of info out there and they're extremely easy to work on.

Re: Complete Newb Here

Go to the dmv or thier website. I would look for a running Puch or Tomos as a first bike, check fuel tanks for rust, look at the electrical wiring, see that it is not a hacked up etc. If your state requires it make sure the bike is titled and plated, it can be a hassle depending on where you live to get these. Best of luck!

Re: Complete Newb Here

If you're looking to buy a moped for a commute -- as in, you need it to be reliable -- get a new or almost new Tomos. If you decide that it's the bees knees and you're dying to work on it, then get a second one, like a Puch or something else that needs work.

There are about a million and a half threads about the moped laws in CA. I know some of the CA guys have explained it pretty thoroughly before, if you can find those posts and/or if the explanation in the wiki isn't complete enough for you.

Last -- there are books on mopeds. It's just that most of them are 30 years old. I own several of them, and honestly, I don't think the're very helpful beyond their historical value. If you're looking for repair/modification/general info-type help, the wiki and forums here are much more helpful.

Re: Complete Newb Here

Mickey Bill Moore /

you'll need an M2 or M1 drivers license (a permit works during the day), and you have to register your bike to get the moped plates (about $18), and you'll have to buy at minimum liability insurance for the bike

Re: Complete Newb Here

What mickey says: And you need to wear a helmet.

Re: Complete Newb Here

Thank you all for the help! Once I have the money saved I'm pulling the trigger on a moped. In the mean time I'll work on the license.

Re: Complete Newb Here

get a used tomos. don't delay. do it today.

Re: Complete Newb Here

get a used working bike. do NOT buy chinese, stick to one of the bigger names like puch or tomos because they're easier to get parts and help on

dont buy any that "take minor work"

you'll wind up doing plenty of work on it anyways, but if you can't test drive it, dont buy it, at least not for your 1st bike

check theres no serious rust in the tank and when you do get it, go to the local hardware store, get an in-line fuel filter, and put it in your gas line. seriously.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account