R.A.GUZMAN aka my first puch

i hate more than anything boring "CHECK OUT MY MAXI!" posts, so i thought i'd make one of my own and see how you guys like it! so there!

i decided i wanted to build a maxi to smash around town on, and i decided i wanted to do it as cheap as possible. total amount invested = $50

westseattle ryan gave me the bottom end with a seized crank and the frame for $50 (he even drove it down from seattle for me! best friend ever.)

the pipe is something i threw together in an hour or so. the header i made from scrap, the first cone is from a homo 4p, the chamber is a derbi pipe clone rafter made forever ago, and i couldn't find anything good to make the stinger from, so i just cut the rear off a stock maxi pipe and used it.

i rebuilt the motor using a used crank that had some good bearings already on it and case matched it to the tomos top end.

the top end is a55 tomos that i've been carrying around with me for years.

i opened the intake on the cylinder to 17mm (to match the intake) and widened the port window. i also widened the exhaust.

the intake is 17mm handle bar welded to the stock flange (which was also opened up to 17mm obviously). motmatic intern travis powder coated it for me for the hell of it.

the carb is a 16mm phbg. i loaned it to columbus josh and when i got it back it had one of those cable chokes.. i didn't have a different one so i just ziptied it to the gas tank. motmatic had some rad velocity stacks kicking around so i wrapped one in pantie hose and threw it on. who knows if it does anything, haha.

did the old weld-a-crank-arm-to-a-crank-arm-and-cut-the-inside-one-off trick to make the pedals clear the pipe

"LAND SQIDS"

fork is from nate's old little mule pinto, bars were on my st forever ago, headlight is from alan's old hobbit, front wheel is some batavus thing that was hanging out at mmm, front tire is a 30 year old something. grips benji gave me forever ago. levers, cables.. pretty much everything was just laying around in scrap piles or boxes at motomatic.

GUZMAN

the rear wheel is a peugeot wheel with bent spokes, tire is a new world travler rafter gave me.

bmx pegs, buddy rack seat (not pictured.. found it like right after i took these!), taped together tail light

what else can i say about it? it's the most fun bike i've ridden in a while. i have an uncle snordly's gas gauge on it for practicality. it has a magnum kickstand because it was available. i took the seat off the seat post, flipped the post over and welded it to the front of the seat to make it lower and further back.

i don't know how fast it is, but it ripps. the low end feels good for a stock 2 shoe clutch not very turned in, the pipe hits pretty hard and it feels like it's got a kit (i guess it sort of does?). top speed's gotta at least be near 40.. rafter told me i should use his gps on it but i totally forgot. perhaps tomorrow maybe i dunno.

i knew i could build this bike with the parts i had available to me for way cheap, but i didn't expect it to be this cheap, nor did i expect it to perform so well!

anyway, there's my lots of words about my ugly maxi. if this thing is half as reliable as i think it's going to be, you can expect to see it at any rally i go to!

Re: R.A.GUZMAN aka my first puch

oh, here's the buddy seat. sorry, no fancy photos of it, just crappy cell phone!

love the ingenuity and overall jankiness. much better than expected upon opening of thread.

correct forum fuckface

Awesome bike Dean, I was glad to see the gas gauge.

a cheap crappy puch is the best moped one can have. it will last forever.

Absolutely no fair that you can throw that together and make it run well, when I simply can't get my bike dialed in at the moment and it's not a frankenstein. :(

he is so pretty.

More like da' rugged man!

The plug boot is really the cherry on top.

i'm in love

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

my favorite is how you used the pantyhose had on to make the air filter.

This build has the kind of moped spirit that I cherish. Just throw some shit together and make it run, son.

It is really quite pretty. I like the color. The construction looks solid. You must be a very happy boy. A fourteen year old pick up will look nice on the back heading for your play pen

I heart you Dean!

"land sqids" is making me lose it

the u wouldn't fit!

thanks everyone! i forgot to mention the bent to fuck brown front fender came off some girls maxi.. she rear-ended a car and totally smashed her forks back big time. i replaced them for her with some nice new ebrs, but they wouldn't accept this fender.. i ended up smashing it back into shape as best as i could and putting it on guzman. also, the shocks are maxi with the plastic busted off, recycled from magnomos

excellent! NICE WORK.

love that pipe and intake so much.

What's the R A stand for?

I like your bike little girl.

i'll tell you when you're old enough travy

I said this about my "parts" Tomos and I'll say it again here: I am astonished at how much fun it is to try and make something work without giving a damn how it looks so long as it works.

Anyway, it looks awesome. Tons of character. And it performs well too -- I'm jealous.

I love it! It needs a motomatic sticler on it, and to be featured on their site! I miss Dean, he is just on loan to cali untill me and westy steal him back, or cali steals us....

Charles Cole (OFMC) /

I'll bet that pipe is loud as fuck!

nah, i silenced it the same way motomatic pipes are done. i welded a stinger tube (perforated steel tube thingy) to the rear cone, then welded the old maxi stinger outter around that. then i used a rod to stuff silencer material around the stinger tube nice and compacted all the way to the end. to do the end cap, i sliced the last sphere of the stock maxi baffle and drilled out the hole until it was big enough to slide over the stinger tube. to secure it, i drilled a hole through the silencer and cap and used a screw. to make sure the screw wouldn't fall out, i tack welded it to the silencer. it's about as loud as a motomatic pipe.

Re:

im jealous that you have access to all the parts etc \'someone gave me this, this was lying around, I had a welder so boom\' I mean maybe yea 50 spent out of pocket, but there is a lot more than 50 invested in this ped. im a jealous bitch, I love the bike, im jealous of the welding and other fabrication more than anything else... time for me to step my game up...

sweet maxi bro

Re:

love this bike. I think it's hot.

Re:

THIS BIKE IS THE MOST FUN EVAR. so torquey and the bars make you sit upright. i think it can hit 50, dean. it's fast...

i love maxis and newports. classic.

The pipe is a technical extravaganza

Cost restrictions and expediency contribute to some sweet industrial art

Wow that is one nice Frankenstein job! Motomatic pipe too? Shit that thing is better then mine! I wish someone could teach me how to weld franken-pipes and shit, that would be awesome!

Very nice job!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account