Gas Mileage

Brandon E /

As I understand, most mopeds are said to get 100+ mpg. Mine (77 Puch Newport, 2hp, biturbo, 6000+ miles on engine, good compression) seems to only get about 50 or 60 mpg. Does the biturbo seriously rob it of it's efficiency, or would my riding habits have something to do with it as well? I put a lot of highway miles on it yesterday, and I was riding in a throttle-coast-throttle-coast manner with a good deal of 4-cycling ( I was riding with 2 other people with slower peds). Is there a lot of fuel loss from coasting? Above 15 mph, the engine holds its RPMs when coasting. Oh, and most of the ride was open road, not much stopping and going.

Otherwise, it was a pretty fun day. Put about 50 miles on my ped, visited 2 towns, and we stopped at my old high school and about 10 people gathered around us.

Swarm and Destroy (between gas stations)

Brandon E

Re: Gas Mileage

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I don't know about biturbos, but if you've modified your bike to go faster at all, that will cut down on gas mileage some.

Ataristyle /

I dont believe adding the BiTurbo muffler will rob it too much. I've put one on my bike('98 Tomos) along with changing the #53 jet to a #56. I drive at full throttle most of the time and it does around 100mpg. A bigger carb will definately make the mpg go down.

Reeperette /

Err, most of mine guzzle fuel...I doubt I've ever gotten more than 80Mpg.

-Ree

Dude,

Join the club, my 76 Puch Maxi w/225 on the clock and a 70 cc Euro Kit w/a Biturbo did about the samething (almost 60 mi, then cough, whezze, out of gas). Except mine left me stranded in the middle of the VA Hunt Country on a lonely country road, while on a vintage motrorcycle poker run. Not cool or smart either on my part. Makes you really humble to ride home on the back of the breakdown truck and face your friends. My advice is if you are going to run around alot , top off your tank before the trip, watch the mileage on the od, and carry a gallon of ped gas to get you home. It may not be a pretty sight, but "as my biker friends say - - pretty don't get you home unless your a chick". Duh ah.

I put a total of 1 gallon of gas in my new Kinetic Magnum. On Sunday I went out for a ride and was about 3 miles from home when my 'ped died while I was stopped at a stop sign. I finally got it started again and made it home. I could hear gas swishing around in it, so I thought there must be some other problem. At the time it died, it had about 80 miles or so on it.

I got home and took it out again, and it stalled twice. Then I got it home and added about 1/3 gallon of gas (the tank holds .66 gal.). I rode it again later with no problem.

So I guess I'm getting about 80 miles to the gallon. As the 'ped is still new and in its "break-in" period, I don't go faster than about 20mph (although I've accidently gone up to 25 on occasion).

I'm wondering if running low on gas was the real problem, or if it was something else. As I said before, I could hear gas swishing around the first time it died.

gimmejimmie /

the gas you heard swishing around is your "reserve" fuel that you have access to by the fuel valve under your gas tank. Check your owners manual on the fuel switch (petcock) and tank capacities. You were getting small amounts of gas flowing enough just to keep it running a while, then it would stall, also keep a check on the oil tank (2 stroke oil) so that doesn't run low.

Brandon E /

I've found since then that a Puch maxi-style (Gas tank integrated into the frame) tank holds only about 3/4 of a gallon, maybe less. So I'm actually getting 80 mpg, give or take 10 miles. If I ever go on a long trip, I'll strap a 2 gallon tank of premix to the frame right above the engine. I can't strap it to the rat trap because I've got a huge seat that covers the whole thing.

Have fun, everyone.

Brandon E

Ataristyle /

I finally ran out of gas. I last filled up when the bike was at 942 miles. I put $2.25 in the bike after running about 10 miles or so on reserve. This didn't fill it up to the top of the tank(did so purposely so gas wouldn't drip on the bike when riding). Today The bike quit on me at 1086 miles before I had to switch to the reserve. I figured I'm going around 105-110 mpg(because I did run on reserve and the tank on the Tomos may be a little bigger than a gallon plus the reserve). People are saying they get only 80mpg. Is this right for me to get this kind of mileage on a Tomos? Also what is the most gas efficiant moped?

Swarm and Destroy!

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account