top tank on puch maxi

hi, i am completely new to mopeds so im sorry if i sound stupid here. can anyone tell me if there is a way to put a top tank like the one on a tomos tagra or streetmate on a puch maxi luxe, luxe. and if there is can someone explain how. thanks

Re: top tank on puch maxi

you weld on a crossbar, and put a tank on it. but this is a really stupid idea and will look horrible. get a pinto frame or something if youre going to do this, and just transfer all your parts over.

p.s. havent you basically asked this like 290 times already?

The Targa tank looks a little odd on a Maxi at first, but you soon get used to it.

I welded a cross bar to the frame and made a bracket to hold the front rubber tank mounting bushings to the cross bar. The rear mounting tab on the tank was reinforced and bolted to the cross bar. I cut off the extra "fins" that run along the bottom of the tank sides and removed the mounting tabs for the Tomos plastics to clean up the looks. The Targa tank works well on a Maxi as it is designed to overlap the existing in-frame tank.

The advantages to doing this include: having a larger easier to access tank, having something to clamp your knees to for stability, and extending the life of a leaky frame.

Let it be said, that is a crazy amount of work to do to a maxi. if you really want a top tank that badly wait around and one will come your way.

Nice job on the Maxi.

Another advantage is longer range.

Mark I always forget how sick your top tank maxi is and how much work went into it!

Nobody likes a bully. * /

god, how many times can you ask the same question... someone in one of the other threads said it best, if you have to ask, you can't do it. can you weld? no? then give it up, it's a bad idea anyway.

that maxi up there looks awesome.

That's pretty dope... I usually hate the Targa top tank, but it looks kinda nice on your Maxi... I'd probably go with a different tank though. Something with a lower profile and then put a cafe racer seat on there.

mark that looks amazing....but i doubt this dude is capable of ANYTHING close to that.

prove us wrong.

is it me or does that Maxi LX look like the bastard offspring of a maxi and a whizzer? Quality workmanship though.

Unfortunately, the tank is such a dominant feature that the more interesting details tend to go unnoticed. This is my favorite modification on the bike:

Those familiar with Maxi anatomy will notice that the stock seat post and adjuster are gone, the bolt holes are filled, and opening in the top of the frame behind the seat has been capped. I welded a short length of bicycle seat post tubing inside the frame so that I could use a standard 27.2mm micro adjusting seat post.

Initially, I had no intension of making this bike into a top tank. However, soon after the bike was completed, the tank developed a small leak. I had the spare Tomos tank and just enough leftover British Racing Green paint to salvage the project.

oh, i definitely noticed the brooks saddle. I love those seats. Don't get me wrong, your maxi is super clean. I'm not the biggest fan of the LX tanks but what a fantastically inventive way to salvage a project. it also helps that BRG is my favorite color.

campeona del mundo /

mmmm brooks ive had a brooks swift on my track bike for a few years and its super comfy

i probaly cant do something as good as that but i know how to weld so im going to at least try

haha, you guys realize the brooks isnt the detail hes talking about right?

he filled in all the stock mounting stuff and made the bike accept a standard size seat tube. i was actually thinking about doing this at work today, nice to see an example of it.

there is much awesomeness goin' on with that maxi, but i have to agree that the lines are a little off. it does not flow, IMHO.

but like i said, lotsa bad-assness for sure.

i actually can weld, but i get your point it is a lot of work

According to my odometer I've gotten around 100 to 200 miles per tank with my moped. I can't understand why anyone would need such a gigantic tank! The Columbia Commuter is basically the same body as a Puch right? It takes soooo long just to use a standard tank! haha

^no.

I totally expected to hate your maxi/targa tank, mark... but damn - I am completely surprised how well you made that work. your work is super clean: the detail on that frame is seriously impressive. awesome bike.

seriously. nice work. had someone told me that they were going to put a targa tank on a maxi, i would have thought it was a terrible idea. you pull it off perfectly.

holy crap, while i loathe that maxi, i want it soooo bad!

and the work on the seat post is super rad! really clean!

That maxi is beautiful...any pics of what it looks like with the rider on it? tank is high like romeo thunderhawk but well balanced by the downtube.

ok well ive welded the crossbar crossbar, and i have everything i need to put on the tank. but the problem is i cant find an old tagra tank anywhere. Does anyone have a spare tank that i could buy?

1977 or treats has them.

Where there is a welder there's a way.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

Mark, I love your bike, but this old guy wants a big cushy seat. Every time I haver seen your beautiful work in person, I have always wondered what it would look like with a cafe racer style seat with the fiberglas housing with the bullet shaped tail and the front of the seat melded into the tank with a little uptuck balls protector. Imagine that!

yeah, same thing i was wondering. it does look great, but with a cafe style seat to fill the void i think it might look cool too!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account