Batavus

Does anyone know where I might get a owners manual for a 77 Batavus VA?

also Does anyone know how to get more power out of the engine and change the timing for high altitudes

thanks

eric

P.S. Joey Ramone Forever

Re: Batavus

I'm not sure where you can get an owners manual, but I got a service manual for my 76 Batavus VA from The Moped Junkyard - http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/

The service manual tells you everything you would ever want to know about the Batavus. As far as performance, my Batavus is the 20 MPH version and I'm having a guy work on the engine that knows a lot about the Batavus. He has a collection of about 50 Batavus's and has about 10 working ones and uses the others for parts. He said engines are beefy enough for some wild modifications. He plans on shaving about .120 thousands off the head, modifing the exhaust and intake ports, and then drilling out the carb and adding a bigger jet. The only new parts will be a new reed valve and tuned exhaust pipe. He claims I will have a 45 MPH Batavus with enough power to go up hills. I rode one of his doctored Batavus's and although it had a tall sprocket on it for high speeds and was slow out of the hole, it was able to reach 55 MPH with some throttle left. He claimed it will do 68 MPH but with his low home built drag racing frame I felt 55 MPH was as fast as I wanted to go.

hey Brian is do u know of any small mods for Batavus', i have a 30mph Batavus Bingo and it takes a bit to hit 30, i would like to try to make it go faster or pick up better, thanx

Shmiv

I don't know of any 'small' modifications you can make to your Batavus. The problem lies in the horse power. If a guy knows how to enlarge the ports on a 2-cycle you can make more HP and that alone will allow you better pick up. There are draw backs to enlarging the ports and you can over do it and ruin the cylinder, but all in all the better the engine breaths the better it will run.

As for going faster, that can be achieved by changing sprockets. The drawn back is that the faster you make it go with sprocket changes the more you sacrifice on pick up. It is a balancing act between low end torque and high end speed.

how would u change the sprocket size's?, on mine there's a belt from clutch to peddles then a chain from peddles to rear wheel

The rear wheel sprocket is the easiest and best way to fine tune you moped's speed. Decreasing the rear wheel sprocket teeth by one or two teeth will increase your top end speed, but will decrease your low end pick up and your ability to climb hills. One or two teeth doesn't seem like much, but it does make a big difference. If you go the opposite way by increasing the rear wheel sprocket teeth it will give you better low end torque and hill climbing ability, but the high end speed will suffer. As I said before, you can't get anything for nothing and it is a balancing act between the two that you have to achieve. A person living in a relativly flat area can sacrifice the low end torque and go for speed, but a person living in a hilly area would never be satified with the same results. Good luck and try experimenting. The nice think about tinkering with different sprockets is that you can go back to the original.

Batavus - Sprocket Sizes

Rob Hoehn /

Where do you get the different sprockets?

Re: Batavus - Sprocket Sizes

First, sorry for the long response time. Spring is a busy time in our farming community.

"Where can you get different sprockets?" The first place I'd go is to a local moped shop and see if they have any old sprockets that you are looking for. The back sprocket really doesn't have to be for a Batavus and as you'll soon discover from searching and tinkering a lot of parts are interchangable between brands of mopeds. When they built these old mopeds they used off the shelf parts to keep the costs down, which is nice for us today. If a sprocket has the right off set but the hole pattern is off you can modify it to fit by drilling new holes and using your old sprocket as the pattern. The inside hub hole should be the same size though and not bigger. You want the stress to be on the hub and not on the mounting bolts.

If you don't have any moped shops within a reasonable distance then you will have to settle for the online moped shops. This will be a more costly adventure though. The Moped Junkyard, The Moped Warehouse are just a few of the online parts shops. You can find their URL's in the link directory on this site.

Good luck and happy tinkering,

Brian

Lamborn's Miniature Engines

http://www.geocities.com/miniengine

P.S. I should have pictures of my mopeds on my web site in the near future. I just need to find the time to upload them to the web site.

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account