How often do you rebuild your e50?

Curious on how often people rebuild their e50 engines. I know the stock kids dont have to do this as much.

Re: How often do you rebuild your e50?

I rebuild them as soon as I buy them. Then I usually dont rebuild them until they blow up.

Marco Marco /

well then how many miles do you usually get on your e50 until they pop?

King Drunky JCams /

I got about 1500-2000 miles outta my E50 before I sheared the crank.

Still gotta rebuild it.

I don't rebuild shit until it breaks :)

I've never had a rebuilt one go bad. I've only siezed 3 cylinders and coninued to use the bottom ends if they have been rebuild by me. I usually anticipate that the seals are bad on most bikes. The bearings have a designed life cycle, maybe in the couple of millions or close to a billion cycles. I dont know you would have to get the specs on the bearings, add in heat/cold as a factor. I couldnt give you a good estimate but I've seen lawnmowers run for 20-30 years with little maintaince.

Marco Marco /

I'm on the same boat, i dont even think of rebuilding until it blows and needs it.

I know stock e50s can go years without rebuilds and just a bit of maintenance but kitted ones would definitely need rebuilds after a while. I wonder how long someone has gone without having to rebuild a kitted e50.

Probably Fred /

I had the E50 on my magnum XK for 10,000 mi before the stock crank went. The last 2,500mi it was kitted

I split the case only when the crank becomes an idiot and needs replacing. I mess with the clutch cover often though.

Andrew Squiggman /

probably 3 times every day

I just keep a tore down e50 on the back of my terlit so every time I have to drop the kids off at the pool I rebuild one.

I usually don't fix it until it breaks. I bought a maxi luxe a while back that had like 10000 miles on it. The bearings growled but it ran. Fersher needed a rebuild, but it still did an honest 30mph.

Is it just me, or has rebuilding an e-50 become way cheaper? Time was, a rebuild kit with bearings and points and gaskets and seals was like 150 dollars. Now its like 75 or so.

how d'ya figure?

when i rebuild an e-50 it usually costs me about $40 if i splurge and invest in a gasket set, cheaper if i cut my own.

i usually dont replace the countershaft bearings either, unless it was run dry on oil.

yeah i usually check the crank for play when i get em if thats ok ill run em as is untill i decide to put a kit on. i just got some bearings for really cheap off of ebay, ended up being just over $15 per set (3x6203, 1X6203NR). i havnt run em yet but the ones ive felt are smooth and dont have any play in em... running them will be the real test, we'll see how long they last...

I rebuild any e50 i can find laying around, cause i like doing it. I even bought a bearing splitter so i can rebuild ones that have good cranks with no end play just to do the seals and bearings.

I also will take a good good look at the bearings on the drive gear. Like graham said, the are almost always covered in oil for the most part and ive only found one that was bad.

to me an e50 is such a wonder of simplicity that i love working on them.

I love taking a crappy looking old e50 with seals hanging out of it and making it all good to go.

Where do you get bearings and points and seals and gaskets and all that stuff for 40 dollars total?

I think last time I had to source a new top end and thats why I was thinking 150, but I can't get even the bearings and seals and points and whatnot locally for 40. Locally the bearings cost almost 60, figure another 10 or so to order gaskets off of the internet.

I guess if I were to shop around on the internet I could go little cheaper, but I feel kind of obligated to buy local. Madison kids are kind of indoctrinated from birth to buy local and mom and pop as much as possible.

i rebuild my top end every 3 months or so. and then the bottom end once a year on a kitted bike.

Im looking at my receipt for bearings:

6203 - $5.12

6203NR - $11.47

17x40x8 seal - $4.87

22x40x8 - $3.97

All from a local bearing place.

tate, this is the place that all the cranks get their bearing and seals from. they like a challenge too, so if you have some weird ass bearing or seal that you need, call them up. if you say it has to do with mopeds, they will probably brighten up a bit.

http://www.alliedbearingcorp.com/

If it ain't broke, don't rebuild it.....if it doesn't smoke, has compression <120psi and the bearings don't sound like an old washing machine, leave it alone.

I wonder why I pay so much here.

Tri-ped Dave O.D.B. /

You never stop rebuilding it if your name is Mars

Marco Marco /

I saw his beastly za50 at miters yesterday, its going to be a crazy little engine!

how many miles could you get outof a e50 with 50cc kit before you have to rebuild?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account