Re: sparking problem

Chris Robertson /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

What kind of moped are you driving?

You're right. It sounds like the plug isn't the problem. Unless your flywheel or points are loose, I don't think the problem is timing, but it does seem like the ignition is what ails you.

I'll assume that the gas in your ped is newish and there isn't any water in your tank or carburetor bowl.

You could indeed be dealing with a bad coil or condensor. I'd be wary about buying a "universal" coil, though, as I've never heard of these and high tension coils are very precisely engineered for the engines they go into. Contrary to what some people may tell you, there is no easy way to test either the coil or the condensor without plugging them into an identical moped that works (and seeing if it stops working). Forget about testing resistance or conductivity! A bad coil can still appear good with these tests.

Look for loose wires or a faulty kill switch.

Have you tested your engine compression? It's possible that you have a heat-related compression loss. Try measuring the compression with a cold, and then hot engine to see if there is a difference.

Chris.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  sparking problemTopic by: Jon Dalton Jon Dalton 04/15/01 04:03PM
  Re: sparking problemRe: Chris Robertson Chris Robertson 04/15/01 06:20PM
  Re: sparking problemRe: Jon Dalton Jon Dalton 04/15/01 07:14PM
  Re: sparking problemRe: Miguel Miguel 04/15/01 08:16PM
  Re: sparking problemRe: Jon Dalton Jon Dalton 04/15/01 11:37PM
  Re: sparking problemRe: Chris Robertson Chris Robertson 04/16/01 12:21AM
  Re: sparking problemRe: Jon Dalton Jon Dalton 04/16/01 04:40AM
  Re: sparking problemRe: Ron Brown Ron Brown 04/16/01 11:35AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account