Columbus get together [pics]

About a year ago I managed to get one of my friends into mopeds. I built him one and he in turn decided to build one for his girlfriend. He also got a coworked into it. Well, the girlfriend and coworker's bike both got finished this weekend, so I drove out there to check them out and get some riding in.

The whole group of photos can be seen here:

http://www.leftovermopeds.com/images/rides/10.09-columbus/index.htm

Lots of wheels in this garage:

The girlfriend's finished bike:

The powdercoated frame really pops:

The two bikes that I built:

The coworker's bike:

He taught me a couple of things about polishing that I think I am going to try out here soon:

I think he really enjoyed his bike...he had a big smile on his face the whole time:

Columbus is a good place to ride...not a lot of traffic...clean, well-paved roads...and reasonable speed limits. It's nice:

Re: Columbus get together [pics]

*Radium City* /

Oh...we also stopped by Handy Bikes while I was there. The people that live in that town just don't know how good they have it. It was great to stop in there and talk to BJ again...and to just think of whatever part you could possibly need, knowing that he would have it. That place is incredible.

next time in cols give me a shout out, always looking to ride and i lived in illinois half my life.

i live in ohio but it sucks culombus is so far away

Nice work C-Bus!

ok dude. Handibikes is cool in that they have a vast, vast inventory of most bikes most of the time. If Handibikes were owned by more interested parties it could change the entire landscape of the national moped scene. Columbus is flat as a sheet and home to the 2nd largest college campus in the US. They should be raking in the dough, instead they hide the mopeds behind the bicycles most of the year and have one guy (BJ) who knows whats up. No disrespect to Howard or BJ, but that place could blow up huger than anything and it probably never will.

Your right, it's a shame Handybikes isn't persuing mopeds more actively because it would be awesome to have a cool moped-focused shop here. It would get more people intersted in the hobby too. I'm not positive but I think there are more than a couple bicycle shops around here of course no moped shops except Handybikes. They could have a monopoly as far as business goes if they started investing and focusing on mostly mopeds. Oh yea and in my experiance Howard is a dick. On the contrary BJ's really cool and has always helped me out with advice and given me deals.

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

bj has so much secret shit in there. such a fucking goldmine. im so happy i get to live so close to it. howard is a doucher and bj is a fn wizard. some rich person should buy bj out and employ him at their own moped shop.

yeah if there ever was any chance that handybikes could have became more involved in mopeds and more oriented towards them in the last few years, then Howard completely destroyed those chances. Howard shouldnt own handybikes because he doesnt know anything about mopeds and doesnt give a shit about them anyway. He bought the place for the property value/ He mis-managed everything leaving only bj to basically take care of all moped parts sales, on the phone, computer, in the shop, answer all emails, phone calls, etc. and dale to work on mopeds. there werent enough people working there to get all this done, as far as the moped side is concerned. Then howard decides to open up another location strictly for bicycle, and has dale the moped mechanic over there most of the time. So this means a shitload of mopeds that need service just end up sitting there the whole summer. And BJ is only one that knows anything about mopeds or the inventory there, so hes always busy and when local people come in trying to get parts, Howards has the audacity to bitch at the time for "takin up too much of BJ's time." So with all these combined factors howard fucks up all aspects of the moped business at Handybikes and eventually decides to stop selling and servicing mopeds and not ordering any more moped parts stock. So thats where handybikes is now, just selling off their moped parts stock, more moped sales or service, and its all because of Howard. As long as he owns the place, handybikes, is basically destined to lose its long history and value as a great moped shop and turn into some shitty bicycle shop just like any other.

Thanks for all your help. Great pictures. I'm still grinning!

nerdzilla No mo Peds no mo /

so sadly true al. so sadly true. that place is a fn goldmine.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account