Walmart electric bike

http://www.walmart.com/Ezip-Trailz-Mens-Electric-Bike/ip/8467096

Has anybody seen / tried one of these? My sister is looking for something that requires very little know-how to keep it going.

Walmart electric bike

Edward Richardson /

Probably has a very short range depending on the pedal input. I am however interested in the rear wheel when the bike goes south.

Re: Walmart electric bike

they break.

Sounds like you had one, or knew somebody who did ...

As an avid cyclist, I've never understood these things.

Is there a huge market gap between scooter/moped and bicycle?

Is there some ideal distance that is too far for a conventional bike but not far enough to warrant getting on your scooter?

Why do you want a bike that you don't have to pedal?

On the practical side, from all of the mechanics I've talked to about these bikes they are usually high maintenance machines that break all of the time (though I've never owned one so grain of salt). Even for the nicer Giants, Treks, etc. in $2000 price range.

I can't imagine what this POS is like.

Convince her to buy a nice, light bike that will be fun to ride.

Bikes that weigh 50lbs, with crappy components and a joke of a battery (15 mile range???) will never be fun to ride.

Plus they misspelled Trails.

they aint that bad but they only have like 10 mile range

I saw one at a bike shop made by a different manufacturer.

The guys said they use it to get pizza for the shop so the can ride one handed.

That is all.

End Freq.

The idea behind these is, The people who want to bike somewhere a lot, but they've got that one bitch of a hill to get up. it's nice to think you could just cruise up it if you didn't feel like pedaling right then.

so, they are basically the Exact Opposite of a moped.

Oh, and OOOOOHHHHHHHH SLAASSHHH TEEEEEEEEEEE

While we're on the topic of blasphemy, I would say skip that and get a Spree or a Razz. So reliable it's stupid, and they're idiot proof (oil injected with a warning light, electric start, fuel gauge, turn signals). Most of all they're really fun little machines.

off topic

I could see why they are popular in Ontario....

technically, it is a moped.

wow, the one there is like 1800 bucks, making it the most expensive thing in the store

🇮🇹💦 Of the Loin /

cuz if your lazy or drunk and you wanna go to the store and you dont wanna walk or get a dui then this is the vehicle for you.

Mike Scouty McScoutington /

I know of people getting DUIs on a pedal bike

Ben Van Zoest /

Sister friendly transportation, Peugeot hybrid, electric front + gas rear wheel drive.

That's one of the cheap ones, it has a motor on the back mounted on a bracket with a chain connected to a sprocket on the rear wheel. The better ones have a motor built into the front hub and dynamic braking so it charges while rolling downhill. Both work but for under $200 you can get a Chinese bicycle motor kit that will take you where ever you want to go as long as you put premix in the tank.

There is a Mongoose-branded Walmart bike that costs 300 dollars, and comes with an extended frame that takes a big SLA battery pack behind the seat tube.

"This":http://www.gadgetspage.com/cars/mongoose-electric-bikes.html page has a review.

The motor is a little Currie one - looks like perhaps a 250 watt version of the one they use everywhere - and is mounted fairly securely.

All in all, it looks like a solid platform. I looked one over that was locked to a bike rack (prompting the owner to come running, btw), and it seems like it uses parts from little Chinese electric scooters.

That means that you can just snap-connect in a bigger motor controller if you mount a bigger motor or some extra batteries. Also means that you can buy a new one (or new throttle, or charger, or batteries for the pack, or... ) if the one that comes with it goes south.

Basically, this looks about as good as you're going to get for under 500 dollars. I was pleasantly impressed, but haven't exactly rushed out to buy one...

No one in the history of the world has gotten a DUI on a bike. There isn't one state the difinenes a bike as a motor vehicle. The most you can get is drunk in public.

yes. you can get a dui on a bike.

Come ride a bike drunk in Ca, you wont be saying that anymore. I have a couple friends who have got DUI's this way and a friend of a friend got one on a skateBoard.

Not true... In AZ:

Arizona Law (A.R.S.

This one looks even better, disk brakes and suspension forks with what looks like the same 24v 450w setup for even cheaper.. izip stead of ezip?http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12082032&findingMethod=rr

I think I'd prefer to put a hub motor rear wheel with external controller and batt pack on my mountain bike, but You'd be hard pressed to build something comparable for that cheap.

I have one of these.

It's all right. The biggest issues for me are the brakes that are very difficult to get adjusted right, and the lead-acid battery that dies after about a year. Also, the quality of the battery charger absolutely sucks. Other than that, the quality of the bike itself is fairly good.

This is a heavy-ass bike, by the way, it's about 70 lbs, which makes it nearly as heavy as a moped. Pedalling a moped without the gas engine is a joke. So is pedalling this thing without the electric assist. That's more or less the only way I'd recommend using this thing--don't use it solely on electric, don't use it solely with pedalling. Always use both at the same time. And don't expect to go fast at all.

It's been a nice cheap electric bike but honestly I'd have to recommend something else, either a much nicer e-bike, or just a regular bike, or a moped.

Hey guys, she went for a Tomos ST : ) Al Gore, eat your heart out.

that does not seem possible....you can get one on a lawn tractor though...lol.

Josh Besecker /

Just got one of these off CL for $60.

It's kinda fun. Got it to take to Burning man this year. It's just gotta last a week in the desert... and if it shits the bead... at least I can kinda pedal it...

Found a few sites with folks that mod them.

Guys overvolting them to 36v and 675w. Getting high 20's maybe 30mph out of them.

We'll see how long it takes me to break it and put it in a corner.

BryAn eurism /

Challenge Crazy Wayne to race there, him and his chair against the bike. But I have a feeling that with those lights, the overvolting is going to cancel out

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account