Re: bogging out.......

Chris Robertson /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

I got the idea from a guy named Gangly Jeff. His website (http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Factory/1935/TrannyMod.htm) suggests pounding lead inside the roller weights inside the variator (CVT) to make them heavier and change the acceleration characteristics.

The trick I found that made an even bigger difference, though, is to cut notches in the side of the variator housing to allow the weights to roll an extra half inch or so further. This allows the two sheaves of the pulley to push even closer together and increase your gearing a bit more.

With this mod my PA-50 sounds like it's shifting gears. It'll get up to a certain speed (about 40km/h (25MPH)) and then inertia will push the roller weights into the "extra" space and the engine RPMs will drop as the gear ratio changes pushing the engine back into the power band. I'll get a power boost good for about 10-15km/h (6 - 9MPH) more.

I'm not at home this weekend, so I can't take photos of the modification. I will take some pictures and post them after the weekend. It's one of those things that can best be described with a couple of pictures rather than with ten pages of text.

In the meantime, I recommend lubricating the back, spring-loaded belt pulley. You might find that making sure that it slides properly open and closed will give you a bit more speed (don't lubricate the pulley faces though!).

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  bogging out.......Topic by: joe daddy! joe daddy! 04/12/01 01:50PM
  Re: bogging out.......Re: joe daddy! joe daddy! 04/12/01 01:51PM
  dirty carb.. clean the carb.. dirty carb.. clean tRe: Fred Fred 04/12/01 01:58PM
  Re: dirty carb.. clean the carb.. dirty carb.. cleRe: Joe daddy! Joe daddy! 04/12/01 02:06PM
  Re: bogging out.......Re: Chris Robertson Chris Robertson 04/12/01 09:05PM
  Re: bogging out.......Re: joe daddy! joe daddy! 04/13/01 09:25AM
  Re: bogging out.......Re: Chris Robertson Chris Robertson 04/13/01 03:07PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account