Going with an old school hot rod look

Ok... so at the beginning of September, I got my 1980 Moby 50v. It is in a condition that is not suitable for restoration... So that means I get to customize.

Since I am waiting for a new carb from 1977mopeds... I decided to start to work at the front of the bike to make it look the way I want. I pulled off the front wheel and checked the drum and brakes, cables, etc... And since I had time, I painted the wheel, a flat black hub and a chrome red for the wheel itself. The spokes have not been painted at all, I am thinking of painting them white....

Opinions on this please... the whole bike is going to be flat black, with chrome accents, I had to attach the picture to this post because I cannot get the picture to show up in this post.

Thanks,

~John

PS - I am going to be looking for the ever elusive 17" white wall, feel free to point me in the right direction. Since I have to get new tires anyways, I would like the white walls!

1253569937_wheel20footpaintjob.jpg

Re: Going with an old school hot rod look

they have some here http://www.mopedcentral.com/forsale.html but it looks like they don't have 17"'s right now.

I like the chrome red!

B. P. Gretenhart /

i think i saw white walls on ebay. might not be 17s. but its worth the 15 seconds to check,

This guy in STL named Scooter has some wheels like that.

"Scooter's whitewalls":https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=1&i=746923&t=746635

That is a similar look that I am going for.. I was thinking about the tire paint, but like the pic you posted, they look more beige than white. I am not above using paint, but since I need tires anyways.... I have been to moped central, but they are out of stock, and have been for weeks. I just was not sure if someone else knew of any other shops.

I even went so far as to explore buying 16" x3" whitewall inserts and trimming an inch off the bottom to make them 17" x 2", but they have a molded lip to fit into a rim.

~John

Last time I checked it took a while to get a set of those if you could find them. Here's a set that had to be waited for off an MLM build.

1253651484_img_0954.jpg

what paint did you use on that wheel? it looks great!

The paint is Special Purpose Krylon X-Metals... got it at Wal-Mart... about $5.00 a can... It is transparent, so if you paint over anything, you see under it. But it has a nice anodized finish. The can suggests to use a base coat for painted metal, for chrome they recommend their X-Metal Converter. I just sanded down the chrome rims with 400 grit sandpaper and sprayed it. Seemed to stick good enough.

The picture is named 20-Foot-Paint-Job for a reason... it looks good from 20 feet away. Up close, you can see some of the chrome flaking off and bubbling on the rim. I think it came out decent enough though. I still am thinking about painting the spokes white, but may just stick with all black... less masking involved there.

~John

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account