moped moped moped

finally i got my moped on the road last week. Already it's been pulled over twice, first time my friend was riding it on campus and last night I got stopped for no taillight. I"m so glad you dont need a safety for these because there's no way mine would ever pass with all the parts its still missing - rear brake cable, seat, taillight that only works sometimes, chain guard, horn that doesn't work, etc. The speedometer doesn't work but my brother drove behind me and he said it kept a steady 30 mph. This is a 1969 Honda 4 stroke moped and the 3-speed transmission doesn't seem to be shifting, but i'm surprised the pickup is better than i expected and it will get up the steepest hills. The stock exhaust is long gone so I made one that's just a straight pipe. It's loud as the dickens and probably makes it faster. This is the funnest thing on the road. Who else drives a honda 4 stroke? let's make them go faster!

Re: moped moped moped

Thanks for the help.

You ride this thing with no taillight and a loud exhaust and no rear brake, then complain about being pulled over? Cops love people like you that make their work so easy. Worst of all if you wreck, they can us you machine as an example of an unsafe vehicle.

Keep it off the road til it is street legal. For your own good and the rest of the motoring public.

Jim

oh no don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to complain about being pulled over, either times. I totally deserved it. As of yesterday, I have a rear brake cable. But the rear brakes really, really suck.

Reeperette /

>>But the rear brakes really, really suck.<<

Change em out, when ya can, unless you like flyin over the bars on a crash stop.

I've ridden mopeds in such poor shape before, out of desperation, and it's a challenge all it's own, makes ya appreciate how tough the lil things really are.

(and how damn much most of the parts cost!)

And yeah, been pulled over for it too, the "Frankenbike" seemed to attract cops like flies.

Think it's fun now jon, you should see how much more fun it is once you get it together and runnin solid and reliably, trying to handle a breakdown in the pourin rain isn't that much fun at all, hehehe.

One other thing you wanna check, if the 'ped is that old...is the gas tank interior for rust, I seem to recall a lot of the old Hondas would do that...and either way buy an inline fuel filter, a little, cheap fix that saves a lotta hassle in the long run.

-Ree

OK!

Just remember that cops need to write a quota of tickets and if you ride by like you've been doing, it's like shooting fish in a barrel for them.

The muffler situation will draw them to you like flies. The idea is to ride the furthest without getting pulled over.

Want to ride the shortest distance to get pulled over?

Flip off the cop as you ride noisily by... ;)

Jim

Jon DAlton /

way ahead of you there

the gas tank was rust on the inside I just shook all the real flaky stuff out and stuck a fuel filter on

Jon DAlton /

I should be okay. The taillight has worked for 2 days now. I just watch the road ahead of me and keep my distance. Though i did almost hit a car the other day.

Reeperette /

>>Want to ride the shortest distance to get pulled over?

Flip off the cop as you ride noisily by... ;)<<

Well, by the very letter of the law, they cannot pull you over for that...

BUT

Since you have to remove one hand from the controls in order to do it, if you are in motion at the time, they can bag you for unsafe operation.

Don't even ask how I know that......figure it out yerself.

-Ree

SteelToad /

They like to build up technical charges. A neighbor of my brothers was at a light

in his souped up, chopped down pickup. He was stopped at an intersection with

a cop coming to his right, and me at his left. He was looking over at me and

waving and didn't see the cop. Well, his light turned green and he squealed from the light making a left past me. The light show followed him for half a block.

The cop got him for like 4 different charges, but my favorite was for Inattentive Driving. He should have seen the cop at the intersection :-)

Count on Ree....

Jim

Jon Dalton /

I could do it with my right hand because the throttle sticks. That's just being mean though, I don't like getting the finger from other people too much

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account