Traveling cross-country via moped

Hey everyone, I'm new to this site. After a lot of searching, I figured that it would be wise to ask questions from people that go to a site called "moped army". Haha.

Anyway. I'm going to get a bicycle and put a motor on it. 4-stroke. I'm going to be traveling from Florida to California, and then from there, anywhere. Advice. I need lots of it!

Re: Traveling cross-country via moped

HeeeeeeeEEEESS BaaAAAAAAaaacckk!!!!

e mail Davkitts. He'll tell you all about it.

First off, I don't recommend girls traveling alone, especially across the country. Get a Grayhound Bus ticket instead, it's much safer and a lot less headaches than a bicycle with a small engine. You can even bring your blow dryer.

sexist

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

sunscreen and alot of cash

No, I'm serious. I have a 24YO daughter and would tell her the same thing.

_e mail Davkitts. He

Homegirl is 21 and your daughter is 24. How do you feel about _women_ traveling alone.

P.S. Over protected daughters are the craziest ones. I went to catholic school. Seen it a hundred times.

I'm traveling with my boyfriend. Now let's get to the advice..

All you need is the tools and knowledge to fix anything on the side of the road, and a plan.

My former friend (who is a Tramp) wanted to do the same thing (so he wouldn't have to walk.)

He bought a 80cc kit off Ebay and picked up a Copper colored Montgomery Ward Bike and put it on.

He blasted about 45 around here for about a month or so &

then the piston welded it'self in the cylinder. It sits behind my house still.

I'LL TELL YA THE SAME THING I TOLD HIM BUY A MOPED.

1. Do some shakedown rides. Take a really long ride -several hundred miles- so you can figure out what a realistic travel distance in a day would be. Build your itinerary around that.

2. Gel seat pads and bar-end weights. Make your bike/s as comfortable as possible. Check the harley davidson supplier websites out.

3. Networking. Develop a network of stores or individuals who can help you when something breaks on your bike, also get handy enough with every aspect of your machine so you're not dependent on the kindness of strangers to keep moving.

Good luck with this, its a cool idea.

I'd be concerned about getting a good bike. It's not that uncommon to need to repack the bearings every 1kmiles or so; it'll only be worse at higher speeds. [Bearings spinning faster, plus the impacts of bumps are worse.] Then I'd be worried about getting replacement parts, in case the motor breaks down in who-knows-where. Lastly, carrying all the stuff for a week-plus trip is going to be hard on most bikes (unless if it's a touring bike).

OTOH, if the bike is a decent ride, and you don't mind peddling, the motor could be useful for climbing hills or as a backup for when you're tired. Plenty of people pedal across the country, albeit without the extra weight of a motor.

If it were me, I'd either go with a pure bike and peddle it, or go with a commonly found moped. Of course, after giving either a good shakedown. Then I'd start thinking about what to bring. Tent, clothes, etc. All that stuff can take up a lot of space, and weigh quite a bit. If you plan on staying at hotels, you might be able to take less clothes, if you don't mind doing wash every few days. Also, if you eat out for every meal, then you don't have to pack food or utensils. But both those options can get pricey quick.

Moped Game Sally Struthers /

well, what he remembers...

Well, I'm a pretty avid camper and I don't plan on going to any motels or hotels at all. Also, the website couchsurfing.com can really help out if you need a place to stay. That's my plan as far as sleeping goes.

I have ways to make money on the road (no, not prostitution!). I'm a guitarist and my boyfriend plays harmonica and several other instruments. We managed to make enough gas money about a month ago to get from Cherokee National Forest in SE Tennessee to our home in Akron, Oh. Money isn't something I'm too worried about, I'm starting to save now.

I would love to buy a real moped, only I want to take a train from Akron to Florida and they do not allow mopeds on Amtrak. I'm starting in January, so I want to be as far south as possible, ya know?

The most advice I need is on keeping the condition of the moped together enough to make it for thousands of miles. If you all believe one of those bike motors won't make it, then I will have to make some rearrangements as far as plans go. All I know is, I'm trying to get out of here as soon as possible and get back on the road! But, I do plan on peddling my bike as much as I can bear before kicking the motor on, in order to make the engine last as long as possible.

I appreciate all the comments, thanks a lot.

id just buy a nice bicycle and forget the motor, get a nice moped and learn how everything on the engine works, or buy a really nice 80 ltr pack with lower lumbar supports and like 25 of those bicycle engines..

you wont make it half way across florida before that thing will seize

I can't offer much insight on the route or actual trip but I can help with the machine. I'd recommend a sturdy steel framed bicycle outfitted with suspension forks. Without knowing your budget its hard to recommend a particular bike. Go for something with heavy duty wheels and large spokes. Good brakes are a must too. As for the engine I'd recommend something high quality like Honda or Robin/Subaru 4 stroke. These are available as roller drive kits for powering a bicycle. The disadvantage being that roller drive doesn't always work great with wet roads and you'll have to pedal assist up hills. These roller drive kits run for around $399. Change the oil as recommended and learn to adjust the valves and the motor should hold up fine. You can probably find reviews of certain motor kits here http://www.motoredbikes.com/

at least when the engine breaks you can just go on a regular bicycle tour.\

Glad to see that she'll have male a companion. It should be an interesting trip.

I can hear the groans already but I would probaly look for a honda scooter. Something like say an elite is going to be alot more reliable and give you less problems.

I used to have a honda scooter but a few years back i SOLD IT! i am kicking myself now, seriously. I loved that thing. I don't know what possessed me to sell it.

i'm thinking of just getting a moped. what do you guys think of tomos?

Tomos is great, they still have dealers nation wide in case you need to make repairs or buy parts, but like you said you probably wont be able to get it on a train.

i'm thinking i can get a friend to drive two mopeds down there. i'm going to figure out somethin!

where there's a will there's a way..

Get a chase van

one of those spindle drive units with the honda gx31 will get you just about anywhere you want to go without a problem and it will get ye up hills fine

those engines actually outlast the bikes they are put on

theres a guy down the road from me that has had one for around 10 years and put on over 40,000 miles on the engine and it still runs like its new

get yourself a decent MTB put the engine on and go for it

ooh...that's awesome. what sort of bike do you suggest?

LOL i drove through haverhill the other day and saw that dude jay

http://www.motoredbikes.com/

there's lots to learn about those Bicycle motors.

First thing is they aren't reliable. Learn to fix every part of them first. They are cheap enough, so keep some spares.

On the bright side, the carb is pretty good. I'm using one on my Peugeot Moped for the last year with no troubles at all.

get like five of those motors. those things are juuuuunky. you could do it, if your a pocket rocket scientist. my puch could do it. my newport could ride around the world. the odometer says it has.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account