Attention New Members: general info

Godzilla, the other one /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hello & welcome to Moped Army & the wonderfully frustrating world of vintage 2 stroke engines!

First and foremost:

If your bike has small (10") wheels, an ergonomic break> If your bike has large (16"-17") wheels, you sit astride the frame & engine (like a bike or motorcycle) and pedals (with a few exceptions) - Congratulations, you have a _moped_. Please continue reading...

So, you've decided to become a small engine mechanic? (betcha didn't know that!) Well, in truth that is what you did when you laid down your hard earned cash and purchased a 30 year old moped. So get ready to get greasy & bloody, oh joy!

First here's a few links that you will need:

The Basics:

1) Want to give that rusty old barn find the once over to get it running? Fred's Guide is Moped Maintenance 101, here you will find the basic info on getting started.

2) Got compression, spark & fuel, but still no luck? Consult The Troubleshooting Guide for more useful info.

3) Wiki Repair Tutorials Lots of stuff is covered here, from adjusting your idle to changing a tire to getting rust out yer tank...

4) Service Manuals:

"the MRA (Moped Riders Association)":http://www.mopedriders.org/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2 has a comprehensive collection of moped service manuals

Except for Franco Morini M01 & M02 which can be found here break>

most of these manuals can be downloaded in .pdf format & printed for reference, which will help keep grease off your mouse, if you know what I mean...

4) The Wiki the collected knowledge base of MA, read it, learn it, love it.

A Little Advanced:

So now that your moped is running within factory specs, you've decided that 25, 30 mph just isn't enough, and you are ready to start monkeying around to make it faster? Just can't leave well enough alone can you? Yeah, neither can we.

Performance tuning is a strange combination of exact science, fine art, alchemy, black magic & pure luck.

1) Here you will find the performance tuning Wiki, a good place to start with most of the basics.

2) The Performance Tuning Spreadsheet Lots of set-ups are listed here so you can get an idea of what other people are doing. Check down at the bottom for tabs for different moped brands.

3) Parts:

"Treats!":http://www.treatland.tv/ Benji has lots of great stuff & runs his business well, you would be very hard pressed to find anyone who will say otherwise. Well trusted & respected in our community. Also maintains an Ebay store break>

"1977 Mopeds":http://www.1977mopeds.com/ if treats don't have it, these fine folks might. Also trusted & respected round these parts.

"Quarter Kick":http://www.quarterkick.com/?SID=fe7c474974ca7eaa50d9a32487fcbc24 These guys do good business, from the East coast.

"Handy Bikes":http://www.handybikes.com/ Huge selection of CEV parts & accessories.

There are other suppliers, but I have listed the ones that I have repeatedly had excellent experiences with.

Of course there is also always Ebay & the MA Buy/Sell forum. Caveat Emptor!

A Little Retarded or a few FAQ's:

(A Little Advanced & A Little Retarded, see what I did there? It's a timing joke people! on with the show...)

"I'm new to mopeds, and I wants a reliable/easy to fix/easy to find aftermarket parts bike. Wat I get?"

For you, my friend, I (and many others) would suggest a Puch Maxi or a Tomos of some sort. The Puch Maxi is one of the most common mopeds on the road, the E50 engine is practically bullet proof & one of the simplest designs ever. Parts, both original and aftermarket, are easy to find. Tomos also makes a decent bike, with the added assurance that they are still in production, so again parts, both original and aftermarket, are easy to find. Either of these are great for beginners. A lot of the other brands are much harder to find, or to find parts for. Don't believe me? Go google "Franco Morini Parts", no really, go do it, we'll wait...see what I mean? BTW "reliable moped" is an oxymoron...

"Oh noes! Why this sticker say no unleaded? Wat I do?"

Back in the Before Times, "Unleaded Gas" generally meant white stove fuel or kerosine. Ignore this decal and use regular old unleaded gasoline.

"Regular unleaded? But I wants performance! I's usein' PREMIUM!!1!1!"

Well, if you feel you must, go for it. But it will not give you any enhanced performance. What you have there is a 2 stroke engine, you don't get near enough compression to benefit from higher octane fuels. But it won't hurt anything so if it makes you feel better, knock yourself out.

"How much oil I use?"

Generally 50:1 (that's 50 parts gasoline to 1 part oil) is the formula, which is about 2.6 oz. oil to 1 gallon of gas. But, as with everything here, there are variables, for instance, during the break in period for a Polini kit, they say to use _less_ oil!?! Seems counterintuitive, but it's true...

"No problem, my ped has oil injection!"

This is a subject of some debate. Some people swear by their oil injectors and have never had any problems with them. But the majority of people swear _at_ them, hate them and would not trust them with the well being of their engine. They do seem to have a pretty consistent failure rate, so use at your own risk...

"I just added a bigger carb/performance pipe and/or high flow air filter. So wat jet I need?"

Whew, well let's see, um...yeah, ah, well... you see, it's like this, no one on this site can answer that question accurately. There are many, many factors that affect jetting: altitude, humidity, air temperature, cylinder size, intake/carb size, etc, etc... What you will need is a range of jets, of which you _can_ be advised, or you can also get an idea of what you need by consulting The Performance Tuning Spreadsheet Trial & error & Plug Chops are the only real way to "dial it in".

Umm, yeah. This is by no means a comprehensive, final list of info or advise. Just a few things that I have noticed get repeated, a lot. I am sure that I have missed quite a few things, but I grow tired of typing. Please feel free to add to this (Linda Green, I hope you will), but let's try to keep debating the finer points, arguing & flame wars in more appropriate threads. What we _need_, particularly in the summer months, is this sort of FAQ, where the new members can find it easily. I hope we can keep this on the first page, so lets keep it bumped people!

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  Attention New Members: general infoTopic by: Godzilla, the other one Godzilla, the other one 07/27/09 05:13PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Todd Todd 07/27/09 05:18PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Baltard Drought Baltard Drought 07/27/09 05:28PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Gar Rett Gar Rett 07/27/09 05:26PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Sunset Timo Sunset Timo 07/27/09 05:29PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen 07/27/09 05:31PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: CartelKustoms CartelKustoms 07/27/09 05:32PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Sunset Paul Sunset Paul 07/27/09 05:39PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Chris Rice Chris Rice 07/27/09 06:14PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: ben ben 07/27/09 06:31PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Nash . Nash . 07/27/09 06:38PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: GAY SQUID GAY SQUID 07/27/09 06:43PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Patrick Lowery Patrick Lowery 07/27/09 06:45PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: hondap50central hondap50central 07/27/09 08:34PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: maciek maciek 07/27/09 08:38PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Clinton Saldana Clinton Saldana 07/27/09 09:46PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Eric P Eric P 07/27/09 10:01PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Michael Michael 07/27/09 10:10PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: bolig bolig 07/27/09 11:35PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Mr E Mr E 07/27/09 11:45PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Ponyboy MP Ponyboy MP 07/27/09 11:56PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: andrewhed andrewhed 07/28/09 12:00AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: kim jensen kim jensen 07/28/09 03:40AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: andrewhed andrewhed 07/28/09 12:01AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: [[ Linda ]] [[ Linda ]] 07/28/09 01:11AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Godzilla, the other one Godzilla, the other one 07/28/09 02:49PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: [[ Linda ]] [[ Linda ]] 07/28/09 04:09PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: tagr33 tagr33 07/28/09 05:12PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Todd Todd 07/28/09 06:46PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: andrewhed andrewhed 07/28/09 11:45PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: andrewhed andrewhed 07/28/09 11:49PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: keller_stephen keller_stephen 07/29/09 03:04AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Sammy Socal Sammy Socal 07/29/09 03:25AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Todd Todd 07/29/09 12:01PM
  Attention New Members: general infoRe: Jerry Franek Jerry Franek 07/29/09 01:05PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Godzilla, the other one Godzilla, the other one 07/29/09 07:49PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: andrewhed andrewhed 07/29/09 09:40PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Sunset Timo Sunset Timo 07/30/09 04:07PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Bill_O_Matic Bill_O_Matic 08/10/09 09:18PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen 08/10/09 09:32PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: crazyjay vandal crazyjay vandal 08/10/09 11:57PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: B. P. Gretenhart B. P. Gretenhart 08/11/09 06:11PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Kim Kim 09/04/09 05:27AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Sunset Paul Sunset Paul 12/16/09 01:14PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: owen owen 12/16/09 02:59PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: stuartracing stuartracing 12/16/09 06:44PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: lord of chaos666 lord of chaos666 12/16/09 06:56PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Gollyzilla Gollyzilla 03/16/10 03:09PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Kim Kim 03/26/10 08:01AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Kim Kim 04/03/10 07:09PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: sundown sundown 03/26/10 09:14AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Kim Kim 03/27/10 06:22AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: daes-flying monkeys- daes-flying monkeys- 03/27/10 11:44AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Recovering gas-a-holic Recovering gas-a-holic 04/05/10 02:47PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Downhill Harvey (OFMC) Downhill Harvey (OFMC) 12/08/12 12:46AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Don Sumpter (OFMC) Don Sumpter (OFMC) 12/08/12 02:00AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Jim Rees Jim Rees 12/08/12 12:44PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Mike Jackson Mike Jackson 12/09/12 10:30PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Downhill Harvey (OFMC) Downhill Harvey (OFMC) 12/10/12 02:16AM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: Ponyboy MP Ponyboy MP 11/10/10 04:29PM
  Re: Attention New Members: general infoRe: jayson sumpter jayson sumpter 12/10/12 08:56AM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account