Why are mopeds socially unacceptable?

Its been a bittersweet week for mopeds. I got some blasting in, but have had more incidents with the general public than I wish. In the past week:

-Gotten flipped off from a group of people in a riced-out civic.

-Had obscenities shouted at me at least 10 times

-Gotten pulled over twice

-Had a lighter thrown from a moving car from a bunch of flat-brim wearing high school kids. The lighter hit my headlight and exploded on impact.

-Cut off and beeped at

-(Circa 30 minutes ago)-Rode home for the night. Needed to make a left into my driveway. Had to wait for some cars to go by, so I slowed to an idle. Stupid bitch slams on brakes and skids into other lane. I look in and she has cell phone in hand. I punch her window and yell some nice words.

Why has it come to the point that I need to carry weapons with me when I ride my ped? I have my u-lock at the ready, as well as my brass knuckles in my back pocket. To sum it up, why have mopeds become socially unacceptable????

NOTE: actually, black people LOVE mopeds. Riding through the south side of Youngstown (a more unsafe part of town), my friend was asked twice if he wanted to sell his maxi, had two separate cars drive by with the passengers screaming "yeah mopeds!!!" and told by a lady at Burger King that the mopeds were "awesome" and to be careful. Why do I feel safer in the ghetto rather than my suburban neighborhood?

Re: Why are mopeds socially unacceptable?

Downhill Harvey (OFMC) /

It's you, not the moped.

LOL!

Never had trouble. >> I always get old dudes on Harleys asking how many cc's it is.

same^^

BryAn eurism /

It's a 'size matters' philosophy to most Amurricuhns plain & simple. You don't qualify as a road user because your body is more visible and not hiding behind a grille designed to look angry and predatory

Kids= immature and/or envious. Skater types throw me a lot of Slayers when they pass by. Flatbillers in the big trucks with the big Monster l;ogo in the window, you'd think they'd have an admiration from the dirtbike/ premix thing

"Urban" folks appreciate peds in my exp from being accustomed to a low-income lifestyle and having any kind of wheels at all is a blessing to them

I live in a pretty culturally diverse spot, but it seems to me most of the haters are the day laborers on bicycles!

As for Harleys, I school them: it's the bike that has the most miles on it that matters

King Drunky JCams /

You've heard that people who ride Harleys or drive Ferraris are compensating for a life stuck with their tiny wiener...

I ride a moped to compensate for my giant wang.

derek from black pipes moped gang 🌧 /

I think we should just hang out on the south side more often because the people love us and the police are busy with homicides.

you should have seen when i rode thru bike week in daytona with a cardboard sign that said something like a mastercard commercial:

moped: 400

camping shit: 300

gas: 20

not having to compensate for anything: priceless.

jcams does yours get stuck in the spokes too? hate that shit.

reminds me of the old bridge/sailor joke

man this waters cold..

"You’ve heard that people who ride Harleys or drive Ferraris are compensating for a life stuck with their tiny wiener"

^little man syndrom^

Jcams right on!

John Joedicke /

No they just have money to play with!

I'm With Jcams on this one!

Jealousy

fallout Survivor /

They are so fucking jealous and envious they are not you.

Re: Jealousy

I'm envious of Justin's moped's not his wang thank you very much..lol..

Re: Jealousy

cause your not in a ford f-39857 like the rest of them.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

because they're gay

"As for Harleys, I school them: it’s the bike that has the most miles on it that matters"

Truer words were never spoken

The dumbass kids in the suburbs are acting how they THINK (perhaps too strong a word) the kids in the ghetto act because they want to look cool to there friends.

ya dont forget cigarette boats

It depends on the bike. My Tomos Bullet TT is the "Faggot Bike" It's a guaranteed "Hey Faggot!" every time I ride it. My Eagle and my Motobecane get nothing but compliments. Both of them are very clean stock bikes that seem to strike a nostalgic note with most people. I park the Moby on the sidewalk and kids will beg their parents for one. With 2 bikes you can have one beautiful stock bike for a daily driver and one blaster for group rides.

yikes. where do you live? shittiest place on earth?

i've only ever gotten positive comments on mopeds. lots of looks that were hard to translate, and ONCE i had some shithead teenager flip me off when i was on my passport, which i just thought was hilarious. yeah, youre tough with your braces, going the opposite direction in traffic, waiting till the light turns green to do something. badass.

Better question, why is it unacceptable to carry a gun on a moped without a CC permit. Also why is it unacceptable to shoot people who nearly kill you on a moped. I mean maybe its unacceptable for me to ask these kinds of things. Maybe rules should be unacceptable so they could join the group of shit that is totally unacceptable to do...

I find that kicking a couple asses a year, especially with the high school crowd, keeps the disrespect to a minimum. You know how high school is, every rumor and incident is blown way up. So you catch up to and punch one high school kid in the face through his window, or break off his side mirror or something, and all of a sudden its "so and so got his ass destroyed by this dude on a moped".

Also flipping out hardcore on people for endangering you on your moped helps. Next time they see a scooter or moped they think "Better give him some room, don't want THAT to happen again." Also maybe they will tell there friends at there country club or slave auction or wherever rich people are always driving to alone in their giant automobiles.

Its not about punching every teenage tough guy or ripping every soccer mom kamikaze a new ass hole, its about making examples. You think every dude on a harley is a bad ass? Not even close. Most are orthodontists and chiropractors and what not, but there are like 1% out there that WILL fuck you up. People just don't want to risk it.

Keep in mind I live where concealed carry is illegal, so I haven't had a gun pulled on me on the road, yet. Might be a little different where you punch a guy and he shoots you.

It's a class thing. When people are used to a certain lifestyle and arrangement of the world, they get all perturbed when someone on a slow, loud, and cheap bike throws a wrench into what they think as normal. In other words, you are threatening to their world view. In order to feel OK and maintain their world view, they have to assert dominance and mark you as an outsider. Nothing new for mankind.

Baron von Jordacheo /

In the Southeast, most people assume we are riding them because we lost our license due to a DUI, which is why they are referred to mopeds as "liquor cycles," unfortunate I know, but thats the way it is I suppose.

ever since i put the unicorn pinata head on the front of my bike, i get LOTS of thumbs up

"Also maybe they will tell there friends at there country club or slave auction or wherever rich people are always driving to alone in their giant automobiles."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! This is so fucking hilarious. I'm in GA and I thought about that even before I bought a moped. No need for one 98 lb. trophy wife to drive around in an Escalade...except to have room for her fucking breast implants maybe.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account