Locking up your moped

I've been thinking about how to best lock my moped up this summer as i live in a rather rough neighborhood. There are a few problems i have. So far its my understanding that the fork is the best area to run you lock through. Second what lock should i use. I am contemplating the new york chain or the new york u lock from kryptonite. However with the chain i feel like drunks may know over the bike however the U lock wont be able to go around everything. Does anybody have experience with both or let me know how your locks are working with your mopeds so far. HOW DO YOU LOCK YOURS UP AND WHAT HAVE YOU FOUND TO BE SUCCESFULL?

Re: Locking up your moped

I use the 3' Kryptonite New York chain, and generally try to lock through my front tire, around my frame, and to a pole.

not to sound overly dickish, but my technique is to enter the word "lock" into the search bar and read any of the 448 posts that in aggregate cover this topic pretty thoroughly.

I thought this was a good article.

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/security/

new york chain. the longer the better. sometimes i'll use a second chain and heavy padlock on the opposite wheel for good measure. when locking it up in a sketchy place or overnight i'll throw on my mini u-lock around a wheel or disc just for added "don't even fucking bother" to prospective thieves.

If you read the link that Linda posted you want to disregard the Kryptonite Ulock suggestion.

They are also pretty easy to pick using a rake and tension bar as well.

i use a century "hardened steel" u-lock from the 80s. my dad used to lock his harley with it all the time. its really thick and long enough to wrap around the frame and a post. it's also perfect for delivering some "u-lock justice."

That kryptonite "pen pick" only works for models pre 2005... so if you get a new one, you don't have to worry about much... there's no such thing as an unpickable lock nor an uncuttable chain... but the bigger the harder it becomes...

Good to know about the pre 05 thing. I dont really like that article on MA because they suggest to keep it out of sight. I think that is good if you can put it indoors or in your back yard but if you are on say, a college campus or a shopping center its better to lock it up in plain sight with multiple lock types in my opinion. This way they must use multiple tools (if they have them) and will be messing with it for quite a while with many onlookers to intimidate then or can the cops. If it was out of sight in an allyway then someone could easily take it without being spotted.

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

When I forget my lock, which is a cheesy cable lock, I sometimes ask a nearby homeless guy or woman to watch it for me while I'm in the store, shop, pub or anywhere the homeless may hang out waiting for handouts. I'll give them cash or smokes or some food.

So far, that method has worked when I space out the lock. The homeless get work, I get my ped watched and everybody's happy.

At the store I go to most frequently the homeless recognize me and one time an argument among the competing homeless ped watchers broke out. I paid all of them.

Rob @t ATTN! Burrito /

my early ulock works for me, never had a problem and bought it from a guy i was buying his moped from locked up at the train station in baltimore for a year and a half and forgot about it till he was moving. the story checked out. fortunately smoking crack out of ballpoint pens declined quickly after the invention of the crack pipe, which fortunately does not open the old ulocks. who carries around ballpoint pens?? best place to park it is out of sight.

I've used the standard array of locks but I also (always) lock the forks in a fixed position with the built in steering lock.. it keeps people from thinking the can roll my ped away (other than in a circle) easily.

Geez Jaym, give the guy a break. I completely agree with you that the search function is totally under-utilized when it comes to newbs asking questions, but this isn't as bad as some of the threads out there right now. Don't you think?

And ChopSticks brings up a good point. Nothing is 100% foolproof. But like bk said, it's best to use two or multiple locks and chains.

For the most part, I think peds are safe locked up in the day time, even in pretty gnarly areas. It's when they're left out overnight or for several days that they seem the most vulnerable. So, if you're planning on leaving your ped out overnight I'd invest in at least two locks and two chains if I were you. The aforementioned u-locks and New York chains would do nicely.

& to clarify a bit more.. if you don't know what year the kryp lock was purchased/manufactured you can tell by the keys/key hole... if the key is round and cylinder shape its vulnerable to the pen pick... (shaped like the pen?) but if its a bit more flat and kind of looks like a thin french fry then you should be good..

a knox lock chain took me 9 minutes to hacksaw through last night.

my onguard beast took about 20 min to angle grind through ....breaking a few discs along the way. i dont know how long it would take to cut into it when wrapped awkwardly around a ped. i'd cut whatever you've locked to first

just my $.02

anyone got that video of the guy stealing his own bike off the streets of New York? Because it would appear that thieves don't have much of a reason to be "intimidated" by onlookers.

well, thank god there are those out there to prove this so other would-be thieves know exactly what to do. sigh.

^ well, I guess ignorance is bliss. Until we find our property stolen and it could have all been avoided by staying current with the tactics of the thieves.

post that pen video is ancient. come on thats been fixed for like forever now.

secondly, yes the new yorker is a good investment. get the longer 5 foot version or whatever because it will give you more length for anywhere you go.

you can find reviews on locks in google. one i read the guy had videos where he tried to cut a bunch of different name brands. the new yorker took something like 20 minutes to get 2mm deep in the chain with a hacksaw.

Some way to shock the hell out of a thief would be cool :)

i like the fahgettaboudit. thieves see it and fahgettabout stealing your shit.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/74/2772/ITEM/Kryptonite-New-York-Fahgettaboudit-Chain-with-Disc-Lock.aspx

New york krypto chain/lock combo thru middle of triple tree to post or what not, unless they wanna disassemble your fork i've had no problems.

sneakypure - actually a european company posted a video of about 10 high class chains and the new yorker fahgettaboudit was the last one which was cut in less than 45 seconds..

http://www.slate.com/id/2140083

decent reviews

post the video!

i used to cut locks for the shop i worked at in Boston. i used an angle grinder on the street over 100 times and only once did someone say something...and by saying something i mean 4 cruisers who skidded to a stop surrounding me in the garage under the prudental center.

I'm gonna try just splicing an extension cord to my ped at night, and in the morning just sweep up the thief ash :)

^Yeah...... and that's a lawsuit waiting to happen...

449 posts wont kill ya. thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule.

Oh yeah?, hows a pile of dust gonna sue me?

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account