security

Hey, I have a Puch maxi '78, finally got it working $120 later at steves moped in nj...well anyway, I was wondering what'd be a good way to lock it up if i wanted to leave it unattended for a little while. these hooligans around here will swipe that thing first chance they get!

thanks for your insight

Re: security

Kryptonite U-Lock is the standard in Kzoo. I would try to keep it in a garage or something "indoors" (many here actually keep them in their living room) for prolongued periods of time.

For short times, lock it up to something solid. If you have NO alternative, lock the U-Lock through the back wheel tight so that it can't be rolled away.

Joe

I

Reeperette /

Gee, feel the love...<snicker>

Anyhow, it depends on how "serious" you are about keeping it yours.

Mine has a Radio beacon tracking device, and is locked down with about 30 feet of elevator cable with a square pin-across lock, right now - and since it's on the back porch it's within 20 feet of me from the living room or my bedroom upstairs.....

Did I mention I have especially good hearing, and a shortbarrel 12G with some rocksalt ?

Anyhows, you can use a Kryptonite, they work ok, unless someone has an old Volvo jack handy (there's a trick to crackin one that way)...stay away from typical chain, far as that goes, unless you get some heavy enough to be really serious, but then you have all the weight and bulk to manage.

Best bet is elevator cable, at least eight feet of it, heavy as you can get...and DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, hook yer ped up to the bicycle rack, even if it is bolted down (which they usually ain't), fuck what mall security tells you, I lost my Puch Austro like that, bastards unbolted the rack entire and tossed it into a pickup truck.

Make sure to loop it too, back wheel, once around the frame, front wheel -to back wheel again and anchor that puppy, or you might find yer front wheel being MIA when you get back...one game of local punks is to somehow disable the 'ped, by that or slashing the ignition-coil wire, or the tires, hoping that it will keep it there long enough for them to come back with some bolt cutters later that night.

(Personally I reccomend waiting somewhere close by for that to happen, with a tire iron or cut-off 2x4...one 'lesson' is usually enough, locally)

Keep a spare can full of cash around too, you'll need it for the constant vandalism damage that will be done by punks frustrated with failure at thier attempts to steal it, if it's one of those kinda neighborhoods.

Best bet of all, though is a tracking device - in this day of car alarms no one will even pay any mind even if you did manage to rig an alarm on yer 'ped, but for around $30-$35 you can rig something up with enough range to cover a small city, most of these punks don't take it very far when they steal it, counting on the utter indifference of the police in such matters.

It all depends on how 'serious' you wanna be about it staying yours.

Me, I am REAL serious.

Oh, yeah...and two good bets for home defense are also motion-activated light/alarms, or if you love animals, a good loyal dog....I had a neighbors little labro-mutt that adored me so, he'd rip yer arms off it you touched my 'ped..

-Ree

Reeperette /

REPOST (Older Post pasted here)

Hereya go folks, gadgets to make sure your ped stays YOURS.

http://www.cpcares.com/FMxmtr.html

No Reccommendation.

http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/fm_transmitters.htm

http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/surveillance_bugs.htm

http://www.electronic-kits-and-projects.com/car_motorbike.htm

Bunch of sneaky Brits, but good at it, this is more complex stuff.

http://www.amazing1.com/security2.htm

Model # TT7K is a personal Fav, $40.00 worth of real security.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Ree

Re: security (update)

Reeperette /

Wow, check out page three....

http://www.amazing1.com/security3.htm

I just put model # Charge1K on order... heh, do NOT touch the 'Ped, folks....

That would definately keep folks hands off, if yer willing to pack the extra weight of a 12V Battery, you can get one small enough to hide behind the panels on a Targa TTLX, if you know where to look.

"Hey, let's steal this kids bike...ZAAAAPPPPPP, ow! ow! ow!...."

-Ree

Ree

Where would one get elevator cable and a square pin-across lock? And about how much did it cost?

daveb

Reeperette /

I just got back from Wisconsin (blew thru K-zoo in both directions, but late at night and no time fer stops)...so lemme ask around and I will get to it sometime tomorrow if I can.

-Ree

next time in kzoo ....

next time in kzoo, be sure to stop by ... we're usually around. there's a coffee shop (fourth coast cafe on westnedge & vine) where you can find some of us. just as for "the army" ... we're known.

Re: next time in kzoo ....

Reeperette /

I will try, but flying thru K-zoo in the wee hours of the morn at 90mph with a tight sched, nah....but if I am just cruisin and in the daytime, sure.

I've not forgotten about the cable neither, imma check the hardware store today, while getting a drain pan and some 10w30 to put in the Trans (screw that ATF stuff, for all it's supposed merits, I've yet to see any redeeming qualities of it in a Moped), and see if they carry that type of cabling....as fer the Pin-across lock, most hardware store and even some truck stops carry them, they are square, and the pin goes across instead of over, Let's see if I can ASCII it...

||---||||||||||||

||---||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||

||||||||||||||||||

Somethin like that, If this works.

You can also use a Circle Lock, and I know you've seen those, just ask around at yer hardware store....and I'll see about that Cabling today, ok....

-Ree

Re: next time in kzoo ....

Reeperette /

This one doesn't have the cable...I will let ya know when I find one that does.

-Ree

« Go to Topic — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account