PUCH HAVING PROBLEMS NEED HELP

i have a '78 puch maxi lux the thing runs can be revved up and all on the stand but take it down and hop on twist the throttle and it dies anyone have any suggestions???

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

steve

PUCH HAVING PROBLEMS NEED HELP

Did you put new parts on it or clean or fix anything or was this an 'overnight' thing?

Re: PUCH HAVING PROBLEMS NEED HELP

Sounds like you may be missing the airbox or the restrictor plug in the airbox. I know that when you have way too much air comming into the carb, the Puchs will do that.

Matt Margavage /

My girls did the same thing, try covering the air intake up, about half of it should be good to start.We used tape just to see if that was the problem.That fixed hers w/ no problem. Itll take some tweaking to find out how big to leave the hole but should solve your problem. If that is your problem you can figure out a more permanent solution than tape like restricting your air box w/ a plastic plug you can drill out. ~Matt

Steven Marr /

well yes this isn't stock equipment the engine was modified and worked great for a long time it just stopped workin a few months ago and i have been tinkerin with it for the last week or so i got it back to life all except the problem i haveing now

tracman did all the work to it at a machine shop he worked at he cut .021" off the cylinder head increasing the compresssion to about 15:1 he widened the jet i don't know what size and to compensate for this we had to remove the restrictor outta the airbox then we removed the choke because it it hung down enough to restrict some airflow after all this work we did increase the fuel mix to 25:1 the top speed was about 40mph

I bet it's a blown piston ring. Did it stop working when you were riding it?

when a ring broke on my grande, it would start, but die as soon as I gave it throttle.

Way to destroy my artwork STEVE_M ;) Just kidding. I suppose after all your tinkering you did clean the carb good and made sure u have no intake leaks anywhere correct? Also just for shit and giggles do a compression check to see if your rings are healthy. Will it idle with it off the kickstand? Does it run while on the stand and soon as its off it the engine dies? If so check your wiring box for loose connections. Also check your kill switch on your handle bars. If that doesent work....give it back to me for a day and ill nurse it back to health yet again for you :)

Trac Man

Steven Marr /

no its not the rings compression is great it runs on the ground when i am not on it

Brendan Chenelle /

dirty points causing weak spark?

Steven Marr /

hmm. never thought to check the points i will today though i also thought that cleaning the carb might not be a bad idea either so it sat in kerosene over night

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account