Well, there were two timing marks already etched in the block...one a little more ccw than what it was set at. So, i rotated the cdi to that other mark, which should have advanced it at least 5 degrees or so. I went for a short spin and all i noticed was that i lost a bit of top end speed. Hard to tell tho cuz it was rainy and the conditions sucked. Torque didn't appear to change any.
I was gonna run a few more tests but when i tore the engine down again, i noticed i had broken a tab off of the magneto nut that drives my oil pump. (see my latest post..lol). That freaked me into submission...for now.
When i get a new nut, i'll get a little more daring in the pursuit. I've thought of draining my fuel tank and putting a little mixed gas in it so i can leave all the goodies exposed during testing. Maybe i can do that on a saturday with a cooler fulla beer and nothing better to do.
I think the timing would be like most hot rodding...you don't really notice a change until you tweak all the contributing factors. Maybe it would make more diffy with a bi-turbo (which i'm ordering now) and a bigger carb jet, etc. I learned that trick while building my vette engine. Each part did a little, but when ya match everything up, look out! Hard to notice much of an improvement when you're only dealing with 2 hp to begin with.
Anyways, when I learn more, I'll share more...