A GOOD QUSTION

Ben Hunter /

Why dose a 49cc Scooter go faster than a 49cc Moped. Any one know.

More Horsepower.

Fred Melonhead /

Easy .. because the Government has rules that say a moped can only go 30mph and have 2 HP.

Scooters can have whatever HP the manufacturer WANTS them to have.

So most scooters have 3 or 4 or 5HP.

(and have to be licensed as motorcycles in most states.)

Double the HP equals double the acceleration .. and they can then be geared to have a higher top speed too.

(pay no attention to the people who say its the size of the wheels ...... wheel size is compensated for by gearing)

Re: More Horsepower.

Ben Hunter /
OP

Fred how do the squeez that much more horsepower out of a 49cc engine.

Thank You Verry Much Fred Your A Nice Guy!!!

probably less restrictive parts like the carb air filter intake cylinder muffler

Ben Hunter /
OP

Thanks Andrew

yeah and if you notice the size of pipes of a moped and the pipe of a scooter. Thats a obvious.

Most all scooter s have a Constantly Variable transmission (CVT) That alone makes a huge difference over a 1 or 2 speed.

Chris MWH

Ben Hunter /
OP

Thanks Chris.

How much horse power dose a Vino put out.

Really - wheel size doesn't matter?

simon

Now, You're Just Going to Make Fred Mad...

John Lieberman /

...and you know how ornery he gets.

Not the pipe on my scooter! Ever seen a stock vespa exhaust LT? Not very big, that's for sure.

David F Martin /

Nope. It's the small wheels. Sorry, guys.

david

Uh oh

Wait till Fred sees this. So, it's big wheels and small sprocket...or was it small wheels and big sprocket? Oh, or is it big front sprocket and small rear sprocket? Or vise versa?

Crap, and RPMs and wind drag...ooh and road friction of small vs big tires....AAAGGGHH!!!

Re: Uh oh

David F Martin /

Fred is a very smart feller, and a great mechanic, and I have nothing but respect for him. We've disagreed about wheel size before (pretty much beat it to a pulp on this forum), so there's no need to start it back up again. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I like small wheels.

david

Chris, guess your right

Well most 50cc scooters i ahve seen have big exhaust, like my Aero.

I thought those Vespas had big exhast

??????????

Maybe i mean the are bigger in diameter.

Re: Chris, guess your right

How is class going today, LT? What Crisis is trying to tell you is that exhausts aren't why a scooter is faster than a moped with the same displacement. The exhausts are tuned (different diameters) for the engine. Exhausts are a small factor.

got it

OK i think I get it. Im in Computer app. 2. Since im done with all my work 1 hour before my class ends why not be on here. Hows Work?

Re: Chris, guess your right

Not many mopeds have an exhaust system that acts as a very good expansion chamber, most scooters do.

Wheel size doesn't make a difference in top speed, only acceleration. (if anything small wheels should cause a scooter to be slower because the engine has to work faster to get less done, it's the HP that makes the differance)

wheel size

I know bigger wheels are definitly better for sharp turning rather than small tires.

Re: wheel size

David F Martin /

LT, you've got an Aero? Have you done any mods to it? Reason I ask, my '87 Elite is the same as your Aero, and I want to do some mods to it.

david

Mods

Um actually im selling the Aero to trick out my Sebring. I will give you some info there is a guy on ebay that sells performance parts. The best site thing seems to be 50cc.nl. If you want another stock 38mph scooter or know anyone who would email me at ltstoltz1@hotmail.com.

Im asking $375

I want to get money for a 75cc kit, carb. and intake. For my Sebring. I already have a new polini exhaust that is great. I keep thinking about going home and riding her shes gonna be fast.

Mods

Um actually im selling the Aero to trick out my Sebring. I will give you some info there is a guy on ebay that sells performance parts. The best site thing seems to be 50cc.nl. If you want another stock 38mph scooter or know anyone who would email me at ltstoltoz1@hotmail.com.

Im asking $375

I want to get money for a 75cc kit, carb. and intake. For my Sebring. I already have a new polini exhaust that is great. I keep thinking about going home and riding her shes gonna be fast.

Mods

Um actually im selling the Aero to trick out my Sebring. I will give you some info there is a guy on ebay that sells performance parts. The best site thing seems to be 50cc.nl. If you want another stock 38mph scooter or know anyone who would email me at ltstoltz1@hotmail.com.

Im asking $375

Re: Mods

sorry its ltstoltz1@hotmail.com

School server sucks!

The Vino is rated at 2 hp. It is severely restricted at the exhaust port. In fact the exhaust post is 1/2 the size of the exhaust header which is not large by any means.

The vino is has different primary gears as compared to the zuma to compensate for the smaller wheel size.

Chris MWH

Ben Hunter /
OP

Chris,

I cant decide if I should get the Vino or Venice by Twist&Go.

Would you take a look at it for me and tell me what you think. http://www.twistngo.net/venice3d.htm

Thank You

Ben Hunter

David F Martin /

Ben, why don't you buy LT's Aero? That's a pretty fast bike, there are lots of aftermarket perf parts for it, it is still supported by the local Honda dealer, and you could save yourself a thousand bucks by not buying a brand new bike. Just a thought.

david

Ben Hunter /
OP

David

I realy like the Classic Scooters alot more than the sporty ones or what ever you call those. It sas on the Venice web sight there 5HP is that alot for a scooter considering a moped is onnly like 1 or 2Hp.

Thanks

Ben Hunter

Ben. It is a tough call . Obviously a Vino copy. But how good, Where made? I notice there are some authorized service centers but none in your state. I would call them and find out what the return policy is or if there is a dealer in your are that is not listed.

Chris MWH

Ben Hunter /
OP

I was planing on doing that tomarow.

I can not thank you enught for all your help!!!

Ben Hunter

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account