2 stroke with E.F.I.

Has anyone ever heard of or is it even possible to do eletronic fuel injection on a 2 stroke??

Frank

Re: 2 stroke with E.F.I.

Jason Langrehr /

Woulnt make much since....the motor uses crank presure to pull in gas. And to use efi it would defeat the whole purpose of the motor. And the design would be done. But tbi might work?

Bob Howard /

Yes, check out the Bimoto V-doo a V-four 500cc two stroke made in Italy. Awsome horsepower and fuel injected. They had hoped to sell it here in the states but under cold start conditions it could not meet Emissions standards. They kept trying to reprogram the computer but gave up and went bankrupt. A few of the bikes are on the rode in Europe though.Another web page to check out is Orbit Engines they once had a reserch grant from Ford and sold public stock but I have heard nothing from them lately either.

Yes it would make sinse, a fule injected engine has compresin if thats what you mean by crank preasure.

I dont know why know one has tried that.

Tab Patterson /

The Aprilia DiTech SR50's are fuel injected.

Jason Langrehr /

I just meant the reason they have two strokes is cheapness. And i meant crank pressure that is the vacuum that sucks the gas in. I could see EFI being in a moped, but to keep computer powered and stuff high powered alternator would be needed. And they woul dnot be easy to work on anymore. The whole engine would need redesigned. There would have to be Oxygen sensor and how would the coolant sensor work out? I think a water cooled 2 cycle with a nice carb setup with plenty of air flow could be just as useful as a fi motor. A nice flatside carb or something.There must be some reason they havent made one...i always think my ideas are 10 years behind so they must have already found a reason why it wont work. Also the fuel line would all have to be large and high pressure. There would have to be a fuel pump also. I think it would be pretty impractical. A moped charge couldnt run al those accessories

Link to Orbital Engines

Bob Howard /

Here is the link to read about the Orbital engine Deal with Ford. http://link.sandiego.com/scripts/wheelbase/message.idc?passin=326

think outside mopeds...untill last year all grand prix motorcycles were two strokes and I believe fuel injected....doing away with the carburator in exchange for a computer controlled system alloys more rapid "tweaking," which is very important in racing

Of course they exist!!!

Didac Sergi Mart /

Some days ago I posted explanations about this,I think it was in a Topic about 4-stroke mopeds, search for it. I posted photos of an Aprilia SR50 DiTech engine, the Bimota Duo (two in italian, the brand has been saved and they sold the bike, but for circuit use only, I've heard about a monomarque cup with them), and another one 50cc unit by Peugeot. Also I think Piaggio has already one. No powerful alternators needed, electronics don't need such a power, neither the pump, and that's very little, In Europe the integrated pump-injector units are used in some direct injection diesel engines for touring cars very succesfully, usually in engines turbopowered...

The bigger problem I think those engines would have is that as they must be direct-injected ones (without pre-chamber), the vibrations would be greater, and materials must be better to maintain it's reliability with the course of time, it isn't a big problem, look at any Harley or an old BMW boxer-engined bike...

Greetings, 2-stroke's lovers!!

Pics of fuel injected 2-strokers

Didac Sergi Mart /

Peugeot's 50cc fuel injected engine, Aprilia SR50 DiTech's 50cc efi engine , Bimota 500 Due 500cc efi engine, all of them 2-strokes. Here they're...

2strokefuelinjected.jpg

http://www.speed-sports.com/motorscooters/scooter_models/aprilia_scooters/ditech.html

The above link is for an efi aprilia scooter. They give some technical details on the lower half of the page. It's interesting that they use compressed air to fully scavenge the cylinder and only add fuel when the exhaust port is closed. That's a neat way of getting better performance and less pollution. The compressor is powered by the crankshaft, so it doesn't require electrical power.

I suppose one could also get a supercharging effect if the compressor is controlled differently, although it says in the page that they only use the compressor to scavenge and atomize the fuel. The compressor can produce 5 atmospheres but perhaps only for a small volume. Maybe someone could re-program the computer :o)

Paul

Well, there you go. Thanks for the answers everyone.

Frank

Brendan Chenelle /

most of them still are. Four strokes just don't have the power to weight ratio, though they are getting better.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account