Painting Parts. Want to keep a flat look.

Hey guys, I'm painting some parts flat black and I want to know if I should somehow seal the paint because I don't want it to get scuffed up easily, so how can I seal it or coat it so it keeps the flat/matte look? Thanks!

Re: Painting Parts. Want to keep a flat look.

have an auto paint shop spray it with matte clear coat.

There isn't an easy answer for this one man. Your best bet for having a durable matte finish is to either powdercoat the parts, or use truck bed-liner instead of paint. The toughest spraycan stuff I have found though is BBQ paint.

The problem is that in order to maintain a flat finish, the surface can not be smooth, so any sort of clearcoat won't preserve the flat look.

The other tricky bit is that oil will cause the flat black to look shinier, so it's going to wind up looking a lil sloppy, as it does on mine.

Vova Fett /
ven OP

Thanks for the input guys! My dad's mechanic owns a body shop so maybe I can talk to him about. he's the one who gave me the flat black european bumper paint to begin with. It sucks that the oil makes it look glossy, because I love the matte look. I wanted to have my smaller parts painted flat black and the frame flat blue. I'll see if I can powder coat it for a reasonable price, or have it painted properly, if not I guess I'll settle for glossy :P Will a glossy clear coat look ok with flat paint?

Truck bed liner, yes!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account