Only thing better than free food

Jason Langrehr /

A FREE MOPED!

Came home from basketball, 2 1/2 hours. My butt was draggin. My dad told me someone through an old moepd out. I walked the mile to investigate. Green, yamaha QT50 i believe. Tires flat, rear spokes untrue, handlebars shakey, but after that its solid. Get it home, grab a spark plug, HAS SPARK! Clean up carb so thats off list. But i was too tired to get a start on it. Ton of good parts. No longer a key or battery or headlight, but could make someone a pit bike. Thought i update you. Any inspiration would be helpful. Runs a nice lil mikuni carb. Throttle cable was busted. Al turn signals there and brakelights too. IN THE TRASH IT WAS. Gotta love the freebies. Muffler may be clogged. But the gas is old. why is there an oil plug on case side? I will keep workin on it when time provides. If anyone is looking for a fixer upper in iowa come along. I am just lookin to help ya out if a need it. If not ill get her going. Im in iowa. It has been plated in 99 but not title right now.

Re: Only thing better than free food

Just squit some oil down the cylinder put your finger over the hole and get someone to kick it over~now you know if you have compression.

Jason Langrehr /

Has compression, i checked. Ill work on it more over weekend. Fresh gas and oil...so on so forth

oh man i love qt50s

Chris Bodnar /

my very very very first ped was a qt50.i got it for $80 when i was 14.i rode it around for about 2 weeks without brakes or a throttle.we wrapped the throttle cables around the frame and tied it so it was always at full throttle.when i needed to slow down i would turn the key to the middle position,which is for idle only,and it would slow the engine down,and i would throw my feet on the ground and i would come to a stop...ahhh the good ole days.we called it "the ped". i would like another one some day,named "the ped 2"

Kristian Skou /

5 of my mopeds have i gotten for free from friends and fammelly and 2 of them was the type were id just had to change the fluids and they were ready to drive

Jason Langrehr /

Handle bars werent right, rear wheel bent. It HAD spark last night, but after i blew some compressed air in clyinder it no longer does, i think i may have soaked something. Its a 1979. But the dipstick who fixed it, must have been laid on something that bent handle bars welded them on crooked. So i took grinder, ripped bars off, cleaned bars and the part they sat on nice and flat, and bolted back on. Will weld correctly when more welding wire is bought. The wiring, no keys, dash, battery, headlight anything. I figure it wil make a nice race track bike. Some solutions, where the dash is supposd to have wiring in it the wiring was hanging on front rack. i tucked it in the plastic case near it, found a nice sheet of sheetmetal from race car, cut and bent it to cover the front rack wiring. Looked sweet and will keep it dry. Headlight, i also cut a nice peice of sheetmetal. It is looking good, 10 times better than last night. Oh you know what, i may have turned the kill switch off, maybe i shoud look while i test for spark again. But i plan on sheetmetal under all racks to cover the wires. It looks good. The bars are functional now too. Only things i s hould have to buy will be throttle and choke cables, rear rim used, and maybe some misc parts. Im thinking of putting this on premix also. It seems easier not knowi the condition of bike. 2 being on premix would be easy. I could mix a huge jug. Im happy. Freebies are always good, and when i can make so much progress makes me feel good. I got the carb of, mikuni, miniture motocycle carb basicly. Cleaned it up. Everything flows. Petcock leaks, but it had some bad gas in it before. Its a project bike i guess. I will do some work on it.

I thought you were going to say sex... sex preffered over free moped. sorry couldnt help myslef

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account