Derbi Racing bikes (only for races): Pics

Didac Sergi Mart /

Hello! i found some pics of Derbi racing bikes and I think you'll like to see them.

The first I show you is a 1966 Derbi GP 50cc. The owner claims it develops 43hp, but I'm a bit esceptic about this enormous power. I think around 20-30hp is more reallistic, but of course, continues to be very impressive. At that time there was a 50cc World GP Championship and this bike ran in it with very good results. I must say that those GP racing Derbis are called "Balas Rojas"=Red bullets .

derbigpremio.jpg

Re: Derbi Racing bikes (only for races): Pics

Didac Sergi Mart /

Here's the 1974 Derbi Carreras-cliente 50cc a bike sold to those private pilots that wanted a 50cc racing bike to enter in races.Althought it was designed as an entry level, cheap racing bike, it was quite refined and technologically advanced. It has 15.5hp @ 15000 RPM , 6 speed gearshift , electronic ignition, air cooled, IRZ 24 mm carburetor and rotative valve, light alloy cilinder, aluminium wheels..etc, and of course, it has a maximum speed of 165 Km/h , more than 100 MPH !!!

carreras-cliente15hp.jpg

Didac Sergi Mart /

Finally, there's Yoichi Ui with it's 2000 Derbi GPR 125 , he ended 2nd in World GP cHampionships that year. I know it's not a 50cc, but I think is the perfect example for showing that Derbi racing spirit continues live, Derbi IS in the GP World Championship today, and it will be in the future because is in the company's philosophy. Greetings from Barcelona!!

DerbiGP125_2000_Ui.jpg

Greetings from Canada. These bikes are sweet. The 125 is a wild looking bike too.

Frank.

Didac Sergi Mart /

Yeah, it's apity they don't made a 125cc street version, it would be a bomb. Derbi has buitl up to 350cc bikes in the past, in the 90's they made a GP-style 80cc that was very pretty, and a cross model with same 80cc engine and another 125cc one. A possible 125cc r

DerbiGPR50RandGPR125.jpg

WOW!!!!!. I wish we had those kind of bikes here in Canada.

Thanks for posting such awsome pics!!!

Frank

You can buy a GPR50R in Canada

Didac Sergi Mart /

Yes, I found some weeks ago a web from a bike dealer and there they say they sell the Derbi GPR50R , but they were having troubles with government, it seems that it was too powerful to be sold as a "moped" (yeah, I know it isn't a true moped, but it's what they say).

As for the 125cc, it's a racing bike, it can be bought only for race (ask Derbi how, if you like) and it would be difficult to buy a new unit , I suppose. It's a bike developed to the Grand Prix, you know...by the way,

Re: You can buy a GPR50R in Canada

Didac, They do sell Aprilia's here. Im not sure if they have that model. Usually, street bikes are 4 strokes and have engines up to 1300cc's with over 155HP. Most street bikes here are around the 750cc range.

Frank

Re: You can buy a GPR50R in Canada

Bob Howard /

Thanks Didac,

Thanks for the great pics. As you probaly know we have a GP track under constrution in Birmingham Al. They plan on holding our first USA GP race in 2004. The track was built with private money and with tif money by the Barber Motorcycle museum. The museum is building a new state of the art facility too.I have been to the old museum in the old Barber Dairy building, it was spectacular. Mostly all European and Jap. Bikes. Both street and racing machines. If you are ever in Biringham make the musuem a must see. We are very glad to finally get a World GP race back to the states.

Also the Derbi GPR replicas are available here in the states. I have a 2001 model that is my favorite bike in my garage of seven other bikes. Cant wait to see that Derbi 125 racer here in the states.

Happy to know USA GP is back!!

Didac Sergi Mart /

Well, I don't know about that new circuit. I loved Laguna Seca's hairpin and all the downhill, but it would be dangerous for the MotoGP bikes. Spain is probably the country with more GP races fans, here we host three GP events: the Spanish Grand Prix in Jerez Circuit (the place where Sherry is made, in Andaluc

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account