Side Car

Ben Hunter /

Could a 50cc scooter pull a side car.

Thank You

Ben Hunter

Re: Side Car

Didac Sergi Mart /

I think no, almost in Spain. As mopeds and other 50cc bikes are supposed only capable of carrying the driver+a passenger and no more, it would be impossible to fit a sidecar for another passenger. I don't know USA's rules about it, but in my country, and I suppose in the rest of the EU is as I've explained to you. If you like sidecars, you must have a big bike. I recommend you a BMW R45 or a R65, they are slightly underpowered and very robust, are pretty and it's boxer engine sound (unbreakable one I must say) is marvellous. Greetings

Brandon H. /

Probably. Would it be legal? I have no idea. I used to use my moped to pull around a homemade wooden trailer with a 12' jon boat, a really big trolling motor battery, a trolling motor and a cooler. I'm really surprised the engine didn't develop any problems from towing something so large. I couldn't get above 20mph, so I imagine your top end speed would be limited quite a bit.

I've pulled quite a few other things behind my moped as well... Towed a friend back home in his go-kart after he seized his engine. One terrific failure that stands out in my mind was a Radio Flyer wagon, apparantly the wheel bearings aren't designed for the kind of speeds a moped can reach and one of the wheels came off. I believe I was hauling ROCKS at the time. :)

Ben Hunter /

thanks for the info!!!

Jake Rutter /

i have seen a honda elite 80cc scooter with what looked like a factory made side car. it was pretty sweet and pulling about 45mph.

Ben Hunter /

Awsome

actually

Chris Bodnar /

www.batavusmopeds.com there was a company that made sidecars for batavus mopeds back in the day.

Re: actually

Ben Hunter /

thanks

Has it occurred to you to build your own sidecar, complete with it's own motor? Find an identical motor like the one in your moped and run your throttle through a cable splitter. Then your sidecar can pull it's own weight.

This won't sound as crazy of an idea tomorrow.

I think it most probably could, provided it is not occupied by a passenger, and its purpose would be just to turn some heads! Think of the storage space you would get for sporting equipment, groceries, etc...I'd check with vehicle regulations before attempting anything first.

I really doubt that any government body in the US has ever addressed the subject of sidecars on mopeds.

I have no idea how a moped would handle a chair Ben, but you just reminded me of something I saw years ago.

It was something like a trike made from 2 honda scooter rearends and one central frontend. Between the 2 motor units was a deck the rider parked his wheelchair on. I have no idea how legal it was, but damn it looked cool and seemed like a great solution to someones problem.

Best ot luck finding out more, Justin in NZ.

Ben Hunter /

Thanks Guys I was thinking I could make a verry light fiberglass body and put on an axel and frame made of chrome moly tubeing I think that would be light enught. I think it would be like 75 pounds I could carry groceries or somthing. Thanks Again

Ben Hunter

Here you go- 50cc side car - even off road.

http://www.sidecarcross.com/gallery/mini_rudersberg1.shtml

But it's populated by 7 year olds.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account