I'm clueless! Help!

Hey everyone. I have a Revival with a biturbo exhaust, K&N air filter, and #60 carb jet. The bike still only goes 35 mph!!! Does anybody have any insight on why it is so slow? Or any way that I can make it faster? And DON'T say 70cc kit or speed sprocket cuz it wont fit.

Re: I'm clueless! Help!

i know for a fact you can get different size sprockets for the Revival. You need to talk to itslookingup or ike...

Keith Wallace /

What kind of maintenance have you done lately? Maybe cleaning out the carb, drilling holes in the airbox, burning out carbon in your muffler, honing your intake port, etc. will increase your speed. Try playing with your idle setting to get more rpms out of your bike. I know it is a new bike, how many miles do you have? have you changed the oil recently? How about the gas?

I have seen NOBODY who carries speed sprockets for the revival. Does anybody have any info?

Ok, I have just recently completely cleaned the carb when I installed the jet, no problem there. The bike has 800 miles on it, I changed it at 400, and I will again soon. I removed the stock airbox and have a custom made K&N filter/adapter. The idle setting I play with at least 5 times a day lol. What do you mean about the gas? I DID buy my exhaust used though.... so I have no idea of how dirty it is. What is the proper way to clean out a biturbo? Oh and one more question... Is there any benefit from putting higher octane into my moped?

Keith Wallace /

No benefit from the high octane gas on most peds- made for the economy minded, check with your documentation, it should list a gas octane. Biturbo pipes have replacable fiberglass baffles- check with a moped shop for the cost on the replacement, shouldn't be expensive.

Keith

kex@ureach.com

I just replaced the fiberglass yesterday, that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with it tho, it just silences it. I asked how to correctly clean out the carbon deposits inside of the muffler itself?

Keith Wallace /

To clean out the muffler itself, you have to burn out carbon deposits- is your biturbo a one piece or two? You have to place it inside a fire that has burned down to coals ntil it gets red hot- make sure you don't melt it- then bang out all of the deposits.

Email ikes_bikes@mopedarmy.com

Jon, There are no front sprockets available for the Revival. On the rear I have been told Tomos used both a 4 and a 5 bolt pattern. I'm also curious about your bi-turbo, is it one or two pieces? You should be getting about 5-7 mph more if the set-up is right. Can I ask your weight? My experiance is that speedo has a 7 mph error. So, if that is true you are getting 28 mph with those mods. Something isn't right. You speed of 35 mph is flat level ground, no incline, right?

My biturbo is a 2 piece... welded into one. So basically I just get it red hot and bang the heck out of it?

2 piece welded into one... Yea thats flat level ground. I weigh 170 lbs. About the rear sprocket... how many teeth are stock? And do I need to go bigger or smaller and how much?

I doubt you need to clean your bi-turbo pipe. It is the packing that needs to be replaced and you say you have already done that. I wouldn't mess with the sprocket until you are getting the right speeds out of it. The one piece bi-turbo is the one that is tuned for the Tomos engine. The two piece is designed for the Puch. I wonder if the pipe is not properly tuned for the A35 engine. Who welded it? Your weight is less than mine so there is no excuse for only getting it to 35 mph. I am getting 43 mph and the only other mod I have is shaving .010" off the head. That should only account for 1 mph.

Just a few more thoughts. I am also using the stock airbox with 3 3/8" hole drilled in it. It could be that the custom K&N isn't getting enough air in. Isn't it a paper filter.

Oh yea, I'm using a #58 jet. Also, that ped is too new to be having a clogged carb or carbon build-up in the exhaust port. Make sure the carb is properly attached and the intake is bolted down tightly.

Yea actually it's a one piece biturbo, my bad. The K&N gets in plenty of air, almost equivalent to no filter at all. Everything is on and tight too. I am so clueless !!!

Ben Hunter /

Can you take the pipe of and try it, or do you not have enught back presure to do that. The pipe on My Puch was cloged when I bought the moped and it was realy slow. After I took it off it was fast.

Ben Hunter

Elwood87@go.com

For the sprocket for the revival dont expect any thing soon It took over 15 years before they ofered the ones available for the regular tomos and the revival will never be as popular as the standard one. Anyone have a good picture of the revival sprocket and or specifications?

Chris MWH

Revival front sprocket

Chris, I've had mine off. It is bell shaped. It has 26 teeth stock. The rear may match up to something else. It is 24 teeth stock, mine has a 5 bolt pattern. I have been told the 2001 Revivals rear sprocket was 4 bolt.

Jon, loosen the head bolts on the bi-turbo pipe so you have a leak where the pipe mounts to the cylinder. Then run on flat ground to get a top speed. Let me know if you get a higher top speed. It you do, the pipe may be clogged. I doubt it, but that test will prove whether it's the pipe or not.

I'll tell ya'Chris,Lenny's Revival is running better than 40 mph for sure(it doesn't need a speed sprocket,but I do). I KNOW,because he beat me flat out on the straightaway for miles and so did the HEAVIER Mike Bartell, when I raced him. My speedo is VERY accurate, and I know I was doing a true 40 when these guys blew my doors off.Ha! As A SIDE NOTE,Chris,I averaged 35 mph to Columbus,OH one day and even had to pedal up some steep hills. Your 60cc kit you sold me is AWESOME,Chris! don-ohio (:^D

Re: Revival front sprocket

Lenny, Does the sprocket mount up the same way (splined shaft. How much offset is there? I am thinking if that is the only difference I can make the dies and repunch them for the proper amount of offset.

Chris MWH

Without taking it back off my guess is that it has a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" offset. It does use the spine shaft. I will pull it and get measurements in the next day or so.

Don, I have put cyclometers on almost all my peds. The Revival is hitting a top true speed of 43 mph (that's 50 on a measured Tomos speedo). I when from 42 mph to 43 mph when I had the head shaved .010".

LT's Sebring is doing a true 35mph and we haven't modded it at all yet. It is a very nice ped.

Lenny. Ok That is too much offset to repunch. Possibly we can get around it if we use 2 tomos sprockets and a spacer ring welded between the two for the offset.

Chris MWH

Trying without exhaust...

I will try that definitely. But wouldn't it be slower without the biturbo, cuz of the shockwaves and shit it charges the cylinder with? Or am I thinking about it wrong because with no exhaust it would have no restriction and go the fastest?

btw

Oh I was also wondering if it could be the length of my exhaust? Maybe it is not the right length for my tuned engine, cuz I did buy it used.

Re: btw

Ben Hunter /

Is the stock speed on your Tomos faster than 35M.P.H, My Puch went 39M.P.H without the pipe and I think The stock speed on it is 35M.P.H. you just have to keep it reved up if the pipes not on or it will probly quit.

Ben Hunter /

If its to long it might not return the shock waves. Do you have the stock pipe.

No, my top speed is 35 mph

I just want you to loosen the pipe so you create a leak. That way if the pipe is clogged it will leak out at the mount point. Be careful not to ride so much that you vibrated the bolts loose and lose one. As a pipe gets clogged you loose power. I don't think you have a clogged pipe so I expect you are going to get about the same top speed. If you get a higher top speed the pipe is probably restricted in some way. It could be carbon or oil build up or not tuned for that engine. Can you post pics of the mounted pipe?

Just

posting here so I can get these replies into my e-mail guys. Haven't read the whole thread.GOTTA RIDE NOW! don

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account