better Brakes

Better Brakes for my78 columbia... got a pulley installed for more mechanical advantage... I can stop now!!!

Mark

1239233981_s7300579.jpg

Re: better Brakes

that's pretty smooth.

Andrew Squiggman /

but, doesnt the brake lever only have half travel now? what was wrong with the stock setup? were they too hard to squeeze before? wouldnt properly adjusted brakes work easily? not trying to be a pain in the ass, just asking questions.

Very nice job. Wouldn't lengthning the brake lever on the wheel also help if you wanted to increase stopping power?

Mark Kloninger /

Old brakes would not stop this bike at all. The pulley makes all the difference.

Mark

If i remember physics right he can apply more force now, but needs to have the brakes honed in closer to the point where they touch the drum because will have have the travel

Mark Kloninger /

A little more adjusting on the cable is a small price to pay for a vast improvement in stopping power. These bikes have very pore stock stopping ability.

columbias have the worst brakes ever

i used to fix that by taking the original pads off and gluing asbestos to the shoes used to be able to lock the brakes up with it

but now its getting harder and harder to find asbestos to use

so... im definitely going to try this

that looks awesome

what are brakes?

I got one...the other one needs a new cable.

i agree with above poster, just lengthen the lever arm on the wheel.

im glad your pulley setup works well for you, but simpler is generally better.

Mark Kloninger /

A longer arm would also work but you can geometry problems if it gets long enuf to give you the extra force the pulley gives you... Any way just throwing this solution out there, for columbia riders, as I feel the stock system is unsafe.

Mark

That looks sweet, course you need to keep up with adjustment more. A pulley like that is the same as making the lever twice as long, which would get unwieldy. You could even put another pulley on top and have a 3:1 advantage but that would likely break something.

This thread entertains me.

no groms no blasters /

plz fabricate one for me will pay upwards of ten dollars for it!

(unless it is actually more expensive. then, let's make a deal. I'd like to be able to loan my open road to my friends with a clear conscience.)

Actually, with the pulley arrangement he will have TWICE the travel at the hand lever. that's why it's easier to exert a greater force, like when using a longer lever.

Uh. I just took my brakes apart and sanded the drums down. I can stop about 46 times better now, no pulley required.

Wow! That's brilliant! Would you mind me posting those pics in the wiki? That was a real problem with Columbia. You can read about it in consumer reports here I'll have to try that on my Columbia now

hmm, you might want to take some measure to make sure the cable can't jump off the pulley though.

Mark Kloninger /

I think for the cable to come off the pulley the cable would be too loose anyway

Mark Kloninger /

Sure you can post the picture on wiki. If you do this pulley on your bike the brake arm needs to have an offset bent towards the outside so the cable alines with the pulley.

Mark

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account