Gas for a Pinto 2

I am still working on my Pinto2, but I noticed that it says not to use unleaded gas - I know that it needs an oil mix, but do I need to add lead as well?

thanks! Bo

Re: Gas for a Pinto 2

Bo geigley /

Thank you very much - should have done some digging I guess.

on that note - do you guys use premium every time? How about ethanol?

hey man, i'll be back in iowa in a few days most likely, i'll give you a hand and we can get that thing running no problem.

and yeah, completely ignore the sticker and just run 50:1 premix.

dont use ethonal. premium will do nothing for your ped. just run normal unleaded.

*ethanol

Unless your engine has abnormally high compression, you shouldn't need or see any benefit from running higher octane gas. Some people say their mopeds run smoother with it, but others don't notice a difference. Try it if you want ... it's what, like a 20-cent difference in price for a gallon? That's a pretty cheap experiment.

i use 87 octane pump gas on every moped ever.

man, i just read up on leaded fuel...

i love learning new things.

yeah, i run 85-87 octane. ive run higher and had absolutely no difference in performance.

Bo geigley /

That would be awesome - I think I have everything as far as cables - I also have the gas tank cleaned out and with a new petcock - I am very excited about hearing that thing run finally.

Thanks a lot! Bo

i'll get in touch with you as soon as im back in town. there are actually a few people i need to help with their puchs that ive been tallking to via email. i guess my "puch moped repair" craigslist ad really worked!

Lead was added to gas to lubricate the valves in the old dinosaurs.

That sticker is so you don't put straight gas in, it basically means- premix. German translation thing I guess.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account