Wear a full face!

I just had what remains of these 10 teeth removed yesterday as a result of a nasty bicycle vs. car accident. I landed square on my jaw, breaking it and these teeth. Fucking sucks, my face is swollen up like a chipmunk and I look like a hockey player that got it one to many times on the side of the face with a puck till I can get implants implanted in my mouth.

I'm not your mom but whatever, a long story short: protect your face whenever you are on two wheels.

Re: Wear a full face!

the human house /

holy crap.

i got snell aproved full faces for 2o bucks each at the local shop. sick designs too

that sucks!, but hey you're getting shiny NEW teeth right, and hopefully pain meds yay!

WOOO Vicodin and Chianti!!!!

Dude Finny! But is your bike ok? ok bad time for jokes but really, that's really awful. This stuff seems to happen all time so people remember that bicicles are just as fucking dangerous. OMG theres nothing I can say but look out to the rest. ALWAYS ASSUME that ALL CARS are going to cream you. (thats not to mean you weren't looking Finny) I hope for a speedy recovery man!

Thanks Tracy, I'm feeling better with each glass!

Ok in all seriousness, the car did a left turn in front of me going the same direction, cutting me off. My fault is that I was on a campus sidewalk in the evening (wow, who would have thought a college kid to ride his bike on the massive sidewalks they have going up/down hill?).

My lesson learned is that ride your bicycle like you would a car or moped and have lights on.

I actually never hit the car because locked up my front tire about 5 feet away from the car. The bike needs a new front derailing cable and not much else from what I can tell, but I'm not bicycle expert.

dude, that so totally sucks ... I'm really sorry to hear this ...

Yeah lights on is always a good Idea, but I totally understand how it gets overlooked. After all I rode bikes all day and night between ages 9-16 with no lights and never came close to an accedent. I guess no matter who's fault the accedent was, we can all learn from this situation. EVERYONE add this to that mental list of "special attention" situations that you should all be recognising while riding.

Nobody likes a bully. * /

wow. mega gnar-gnar. You are seriously making me consider getting a full face.

i've never thought about wearing a full face while riding a bicycle...

Mark-

Holy shit.

-Brendan

i’ve never thought about wearing a full face while riding a bicycle…

I've only seen bmx kids wearing a full face on a dirt course, I've never seen anyone wear one on the roads. I personally would feel

_really_ dumb wearing a full face commuting on the roads, but hell, this has not been that fun for me. I don't recommend anyone have to go through this! Next step, crown work to fix chipped teeth, then in 3 to 4 months I get 6 metal studs implanted in my jaw, let heal, and then top off with new teeth. Once the implants are healed, my doctors figure they are going to have to reposition my jaw (cut it up and bolt it together) so I have a proper bite again.

So ride defensively, the two wheeled vehicles always loose to the larger beasts on the road.

Accidents will happen, you can't protect everything dude...

it's a shame, but you aren't honestly suggesting wearing a full face helmet on a bicycle?...

If you would have broken a rib, would you tell us all to wear bodyarmor when cycling?

Wow, this is my worst nightmare, getting my teeth knocked out. Sorry to hear it Finny! Heal up!

yeah I definitely will not be showing that picture to my wife. Her all-time greatest fear is tripping and falling teeth first on the sidewalk.

Wear a full face!

Bill Shamblin /

Yeah, that definately sucks! I lost four teeth when I ate a pipe wrench at work couple years ago.(Damn roll up doors!) Worst thing, I can't whistle anymore (scar tissue in my lip).

The good news, with partial dentures I now have more teeth than I had in a long time. The chicks really dig a full set of teeth. ;-}

I'm with ya bro'!

Bill KU4QB

Shit dude, that's awful! Now I'm definitely getting new batteries for my bike light. How the hell are you going to DJ?

The only time I ever really hit a car was one of the only times I was wearing a helmet on my bike, and I'm very thankfuly I was. I broke off their side mirror and my head hit the window pretty damn hard.

Scary shit. Gotta always be aware of dumb car drivers.

make a necklace

i shouldn't be so short... but seriously, make a necklace or atleast some cuff links ;)

i hope you get well soon and atleast when its all done and finished, you'll have brand spanking new teeth to munch with!

thanks for the horrifying reality check.. just wish it wouldnt have been at anyone's expense :(

fuck that dude breaking teeth is the new thing to do lets start a club

I haven't had any accidents like that, but I've definitely gotten into with some people who just seem to ignore bike riders. I routinely ride my bike a few miles to work along a dedicated bike trail (not sidewalk) that runs parallel to the road and people either think they can beat a bike by turning real close at intersections, or coming out of a parking lot at obscene parking lot speeds and stopping directly across the path leaving no room to maneuver. I've had to give a few people a piece of my mind. Seeing as I just got my first ped I'm sure I'll invest in a full face helmet because of inconsiderate asses. Enjoy the drugs, and heal up quick.

Wear a full face!

kim jensen /

Youch! I have to show this to my son who rides his bike at night without protection OR lights!

kbj

post the pics of your face

holy shit man. ive been planning to get one. im looking into a full face tomorow.

Look on the bright side, with all the money you save on floss you can get a new kit and a full face helmet

Hope you feel better.

Haha, thanks guys.

Rory, I can talk fine and I can not wait to do my show again (ahem! www.widr.org wednesday nights 7-9pm est).

Thomas, I was thinking about using the really big tooth with solid roots on a necklace of some sort but now the idea of cuff links is really freaking sweet!

I hope to meet you sometime shortly Clayton. Have you gotten in touch with Dave B or Chad B in Kalamazoo?

Most drivers are terrible, inept, creatures not fit to drive on public roads. I realize this more and more as I am on a bike or moped, or hell, even driving a small SUV!

I look forward to meeting you as well, when it's warmer and you're all healed up we'll have to ride. I haven't really gotten in touch with anybody around here outside this site. By the way, where did your accident happen, WMU?

As my dad is fond of saying, "The only difference between a full face and an open face helmet is an open or closed casket."

You got lucky. Hope you recover swiftly.

brutal.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account