Homemade Air Filter??

Anyone here make their own air filter for their ped?

Not that I'm cheap or anything... well not _only_ because I'm cheap. I don't want to have to wait for shipping and all that crap.

So I'm cheap and impatient.

I need to make something to fit a Dellorto 14/12. It's on a Batavus, so it needs to be relatively small, as clearance is an issue

Any one have any suggestions?

Or should I just get myself a new one ("will this fit?":http://www.treatland.tv/vespa-piaggio-moped-hi-flow-performance-air-filter-p/vespa-hi-flow-filter-piaggio.htm ) ?

Re: Homemade Air Filter??

You could try a uni big red filter. but if you want to make a cheap one just use panty hose and a zip tie.

ive used panty hose and it works fine.

panty hose or i got some foam as wrapping for a present that has worked pretty well on a bike that needed a bit less air.

window airconditioner filter stuff stuffed inside half of a soda can with a bunch of holes poked in it works great then duct tape it to the carb

heres mine. im not sure what that stuff is called, but it was in a tool kit i got, i just cut it to shape and put it on.

1234678227_p2100069.jpg

Salsa Salsa /

i hope you have a storm trooper outfit you wear when you ride that.

he wears this...

The vespa one wont fit the mounting hole is too small to fit the carb.

I have had good luck with autozone valve cover breather filters but require some modification to fit usually...

Just contacted treats...

The piaggio air filter won't fit, but he's got some sha filters coming in next week!

Until then, this ghetto-fabulous hosiery air filter should work:

What about this guy? It may be to large?

i even trimmed it ta look nice. my girls' hair thingy keeps it allz snug...

yeah, too big. there's only about 2-1/2 inches of space for a filter.

I'm gonna try to find an aresol can I can cut open. my dad said he's got some filter material i can use out in the garage.

I'll try to rig something a little more durable than nylon stockings.

You can get filter foam at most NAPA stores.

So i was taking a tinkle...

I look up on a shelf next to the bathroom mirror... a candle with golden cover. The cover just so happened to be the size i need to fit on the carb.

needless to say, that candle doesn't have a cover anymore.

So i yanked that, and my dad let me cut up a toyota air filter he had in the garage.

after about 3 minutes, this is what i came up with:

crappy pic:

That cap will be restrictive. Do you have jets to try out with this creation?

Mark Ryan (Bandit) made a really awesome one, I can't remember which forum he posted it in. Do a search. It was really easy and it looked store bought.

Search the Wiki. I know that Chris from cinci made a sweet highflow filter for his SHA and did a write-up with pictures.

- Joe

Bump

Brandon Compton /

i got this idea from a friend that moved from michigan on here about using a kids sock. just cut it and stretch it to fit lol...worked good. it would some times choke the carb because i did not get on tight enough, but it worked well enough.

bump for moped things you hate?

Nah. I was looking for my first post and its in here!

MaddMatt -Ruffians STL /

Cheap filter from a beer coozy. (edited)

MCR.jpg

you can usually get a lawn mower air filter to work. they're at most hardware stores, especially the big ones. if it's got foam remember to soak it in 2 stroke oil. otherwise it's like a nose without snot.

please get a proper filter sooner than later. running without one is a sure way to destroy a motor. I'm rebuilding a motor that was run without one and it's a mess. i never realized there were parts of the motor that didn't have motor oil in them. the only lube they get comes from the carb and with no air filter the road dust goes straight inside with the lube and creates a mud that breaks everything down.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account