High Octane at the pump...

Is it true that the pump stores nearly a gallon of whatever the last guy used? I wanna get some high octane but it'll mess with my testing if half of it is 87. Can anyone shed some light on this myth?

thanks.

Re: High Octane at the pump...

wtf, 33 replies?

Ive tried around here but it didn't work for me.maybe I did it wrong

sounds like something for the mythbusters...

But one has to assume that whatever the last guy was pumping is still going to be in the handle, line and grade switching mechanism.

yea it stores it in the lines to the pump not the hose to the tank.

Dammit, that sucks.

It's not so bad, just go to a station with 3 hoses instead of one, then you know you are getting only premium. That's what I do.

there is a station not far from me that has 3 grades with thier own hose AND cam 2 107 race fuel on its own pump.

although I wouldnt run leaded fuel in a 2 stroke that you want to keep alive.

Bearings dont like the lead.

True that. If you must use a one hose pump have a friend fill up first then fill your gas can right after. Have done that, don't know if it really makes that much difference though, mopeds were designed to run on 87 or so, mine sounds better on high octane or so I think! lol! Buy 5 gallons at a time and STABILIZE it! It will last a very long time, just shake can up before fueling your bike.

mandy panda /

Old peds ran on leaded. It's okay for them.

i used to always run leaded avgas when i worked at the airport cause i always got it for free and the ultralight guys used to give me free oil all the time

my vespa ciao ran better on avgas than regular

lol, like any pump u run into will even have leaded gas hehe

I used to run cam 2 in my harley and the lead would leave this really cool grey coating in my exhaust.

You can run leaded fuel in a total loss lubrication system

but it will build up on the bearings and races causing them to fail sooner than if they wernt subjected to lead.

Besides unless you have through the roof compression

and really advanced timing octaine doesnt do a goddamn thing for you...

just go to the gas station and wait for someone to finish up a 87 octane pump.

if you read the vin plate on an a55 tomos, it says to use higher than 90 octane, i which i believe would be mid grade back home in chicago but is premium out here.

Jonas Quimby /

I'd suggest people have a quick look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

It should make things a bit clearer.

higher octane might also have less crap in it like ethanol and junk. i run the cheapy junk and my ped doesn't sound good. but i doubt that would change with any thing but a sound muffling air filter or a complete engine rebuild

Cosmo nPuch Stillstolen /

Thank you for that wiki link Jax. That part about manifold pressures was described "backwards" in a way. The text books we read talked instead of manifold _vacuum_being high at partial throttle and lower at wot. Not a big deal, but it took two readings for this ol fart. Thought it was an error, but just a different way to explain that concept.

I've been running 102 racing gas mixed with a little 87 and some Lucas upper cylinder lube. It seems a little peppier, but I'm wondering when I'm gonna burn a hole in the piston.

Am I crazy? Stupid? Probably both. The Puch still has the sticker "Do not use unleaded gas"

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account